Chapter 22: Talking and Other Things

(Quinn POV)

My eyes fluttered open to see Devon hovering over me as I had a pain on my chest. I groggily looked down to see Stephanie stitching up my chest and Devon picked up my hand reassuringly.

'Hey baby," he cooed softly. I attempted to smile but ended up wincing as Stephanie continued stitching.

"How long have I been out?" I asked as I blocked out the pain.

"Just a few minutes babe," he assured me, "Your brother is still passed out and he is being looked after unfortunately." Really? Only a few minutes? I thought I was going to be out for a few days!

I weakly smacked Devon's chest at his comment about Carlyle, "Be nice. He was lied to by my father." It was true; my father was behind this whole thing, my brother was a victim, just like me.

"I know," Devon huffed and pouted, which was really cute, "But that is still no reason for him to treat you the way he did."

"I know, but he is my brother and if he is willing to change, then I am willing to forgive him," I told Devon with no hesitation. Carlyle was my only living relative; I wasn't going to let him go that easily.

Devon smiled fondly at me before leaning down and placing a soft kiss on my lips, "I love you," he whispered.

"I love you too," I told him with a large smile on my face.

"Ok," Stephanie butted in, I had totally forgotten she was here, " sorry to break up the moment but the stitches are done. I'm gonna need you to sit up sweetie so I can wrap you in gauze."

I nodded and Devon helped me sit up and Stephanie wrapped up my chest. The cuts were on the upper part of my chest so the wrappings were above my collarbones. She tied off the gauze and stepped back with a satisfied sigh and I gave here a thankful smile.

"All good!" She told us. "It should be fine in a few days, just try not to tear your stitches." I nodded and she looked satisfied. "Now! Off to take care of the moron and the creature! See ya later!" she said happily as she left the room.

Once Stephanie was gone I was being swept up into Devon's arms and in his lap as he sat on the bed. I turned so I was straddling him and he nuzzled my face into his warm chest. Devon pulled me closer to him gently and nuzzled into my hair. For some reason I couldn't help myself from taking a deep breath of his scent and giggled and nuzzled into his chest more when just his scent filled me with happiness. We sat like that for a while, just enjoying each others company, when the bed shook and I looked over my shoulder quickly.

Ox and Coda had jumped up onto the bed and were now climbing all over us, begging for our attention. I laughed at their antics and picked up Ox and rubbed noses with him like I had seen mother bears do. I heard growling and looked to see Devon holding Coda and growling playfully at him. Coda roared back playfully and started swatting at his hand as I watched them fondly. I think Devon would make a really good father, maybe we could adopt in the future?

As I watched them Devon's and my stomach growled at the same time. I laughed, a little embarrassed, and stood up while pulling Devon behind me and out of the room. We reached the kitchen and placed the cubs down as we looked through the refrigerator. I could feel Devon looking over my shoulder as I looked for something to eat. I spotted some leftover steak and reached for it when Devon's hand shot out and snatched it up.

I spun around to see him with an oblivious look. "Oh, did you want this?" he asked in sarcasm.

"Yes I did you jerk! Now give it back," I yelled as I lunged for the food. I was really hungry and Devon was being an ass!