Chapter 20: Brothers

We made our way out of the woods and we were soon in the backyard. I looked over the house with fondness and I was soon climbing the steps of the porch with the cubs scrambling after me. I giggled as they continued to play and make funny noises. As I was watching the cubs my ears picked up the sound of something crunching through the underbrush followed by a string of curses. I looked over in alarm to see a boy, about nineteen come out of the thick forest and into the backyard.

I froze in fear and Devon growled at the strange person for a second before stopping. He was facing away from me so I couldn't see his expression. Devon seemed to be relaxed though. The boy looked up and noticed us and smiled brightly. Despite the smile I still felt myself filling up with fear. I did still have my phobia of all men it seems.

"Hi!" the boy yelled as he jogged over to us, "I couldn't find my mate so I took you up on your offer to come here, but I'll tell ya, it was a bitch to find!"

"What? He had a mate? What is going on?" I wondered as he approached. I was still frozen in fear and couldn't talk.

"I'm glad you made it here safely," Devon told the boy. What the hell? He had invited him here? "Your mate is still looking for you. I ran into him a little bit ago and he is really worried."

"Oh, he will be fine. He is a big baby anyway," the boy said with a roll of his eyes.

Finally, Devon glanced over to me to see my shocked and frozen state. He reached out to me and once he touched me and the sparks erupted up my arm I was able to move again. I quickly his myself behind Devon and buried my face into his back while grabbing handfuls of his shirt. I was shaking in fear and the cubs were pressed up against my legs, lending their support.

The boy held his hand out to Devon to shake, "I'm Jay," he introduced. He seemed to either not notice me or he was just ignoring me.

Devon gave Jay's hand a firm shake and introduced himself, then he looked over his shoulder to me with worry. "What's the matter sweetheart?" he asked softly.

I didn't answer him; I was too afraid and even if I could answer it would probably be in German. Devon looked me over and his eyes widened in realization after a second. He gave me a soft look and placed one of his large hands on the top of my head.

"Its fine Quinn," he assured me and I could feel my tense muscles relax slightly, "I'm right here." I nodded to him to show that I heard but I kept myself hid behind Devon.

"Won't you come inside?" Devon asked Jay. To my dismay, Jay nodded enthusiastically and Devon was soon leading the way into the house. Jay followed us, practically skipping, while was trying to use Devon as a meat shield to keep me away from Jay. I was calmer then I was before but I was nowhere near relaxed.

We continued down the hall and I flinched at every loud noise Jay made. Once I caught sight of the doorway leading into the living room I ran ahead of Devon and Jay to try to get away from Jay. The cubs made sure to keep close and I soon burst into the living room that was filled with the packs chatter. Once I entered the pack looked and smiled but their smiles were soon replaced with worried look as they saw my stressed face.

Eli, Chris and Cooper immediately popped up and rushed over to me and started rubbing my back and talking to me in soothing tones. I grabbed on to Cooper and buried my face into his chest. He instantly wrapped his arms around me lightly and started rubbing my back. I used to come to him a lot after I got a particularly bad beating and we would do this, so he knew what to do.

I heard Devon enter the room and I looked up to him to see that Jay was still with him. Why doesn't he just get rid of him? Doesn't he see that he is making me uncomfortable? The pack started growling when they saw Jay and Isaac and Owen hopped up from their seats.