Chapter 17 (HOME)

THE WATCHTOWER: 16:57 EST

Flash walked into the computer room that had unofficially been claimed as Batman's territory while he munched on his eighth chili-cheese dog. He saw Batman where he always was whenever he visited the Watchtower, sitting silently while studying whatever he was looking at on the computer. Upon closer inspection, Flash realized that Batman was looking at a picture of Red X on the screen.

"Hey Bats, what're you doing?" Flash asked as he pulled up behind the Dark Knight, genuinely curious about what the world's greatest detective was up to. Was Batman trying to figure out who Red X was? He knew that Batman knew everyone else's secret identity when it came to the League.

Batman didn't answer him for a few moments and then he did something Flash had never seen the stoic hero do, he sighed as he slumped into his chair. Flash was so shocked at seeing the Batman doing something so normal that he placed his now forgotten chili dog on the counter, determined to find out what the Dark Knight was looking for.

"When we were scouring the Riddler's base after the Auction event, I found this disk. It's a video recording of the fights." Batman started to say before the Flash interrupted him.

"Hey is Wally on there? Can I see how he did? I tried asking him, but every time he tells the story it gets even more unbelievable." The Flash said and Batman brought up a new window that showed both heroes Kid Flash's fights.

From behind him, Batman could hear every flinch and shift that the Flash made whenever his sidekick was hurt. In all honesty Batman wasn't surprised with Kid Flash's lack of skill, not that he'd expect any of the younger heroes to be able to take down Killer Croc, but Kid Flash had never put in as much seriousness into his fights like the other sidekicks did.

"How did Aqualad do?" Flash asked and Batman ran the video feed of Kaldur in his fights. He was impressed with Kaldur's resolve to win, even if winning meant that he was only able to knock Croc out along with himself.

"So how'd Red X do?" Flash asked once Kaldur's matches were over. Batman sighed as he brought up the next video; he'd already seen how well Red X did several times.

Impressed didn't even come close to describing how Batman felt towards Red X's display of fighting prowess. The young hero had been able to take down Croc and then have enough strength to win his next fight. No one, not Speedy or even Robin, could have done that.

Batman didn't flinch outwardly when he saw Cheshire break Red X's arm, but he cringed inwardly. How had he not noticed a broken and bleeding arm? Did Red X even know how to take care of a wound that bad?

The Flash let out a low whistle once the video ended, he'd definitely not expected something like that from the new kid. He felt guilty for not noticing the kid's injuries. He'd been too busy fussing over Wally at the time and had only broken away for a moment to say thanks.

"He's good, really good." Flash commented truthfully after a few silent minutes. Batman nodded before he straightened his posture, his sudden bout of humanism gone. Flash wasn't really sure what had just happened, but whatever it was that had been bothering Batman was seemingly resolved for the Dark Knight.

"He could probably beat half the members in the League." Batman said, betraying nothing with his emotionless tone. Flash looked at Batman's back in surprise, sure the kid was good, but was he really that good? Well if Batman thought so, Flash held little doubt for the Dark Knight's bold statement.

Flash turned to leave the room, remembering his chili dog at the last second. He took a bite and grimaced at the cold food now in his mouth. How long had he been in here?