Chapter 5 (Team Up with Bats)

GOTHAM: 23:32 EST

"Who are you?" Batman asked, or rather demanded. He glared at Red X with that infamous Bat glare of his and in a cold voice that spoke volumes of his lack of trust in the new hero. Red X knew that this wasn't his Batman, but he still couldn't shake the anger and irritation he suddenly felt towards the man.

"And here I thought bats were supposed to have excellent hearing." He said in an impassive tone as he shrugged his shoulders at the two, while X-mite snickered. He caught their surprised looks before Batman's face took on the form of anger and annoyance, while Robin's took on a look between humor and awe.

"My name is Red X." He said as simply before he turned to walk towards the police officers, "Name's X-mite!" The young sidekick exclaimed happily then quickly went toward Red X. Red X heard the footsteps behind him, that didn't belong to his young sidekick, and narrowed his eyes in annoyance at his once mentor. He knew that his Batman hated it when a hero fought crime in his town and it seemed like this Bat felt the same way.

"Are you both okay?" Red X asked as the police came towards him, both men looking shaken and relieved at the same time.

"Yeah, you really saved our asses back there. Another few seconds and we would have been Swiss cheese." The one cop said while the other nodded in agreement.

"Why did the Hatter's men attack you?" He asked and practically felt Batman narrow his eyes in suspicion.

"Well it could be because we were transferring their boss to Arkham. Batman had just apprehended him about an hour ago, but a few of the Hatter's men that were still on the loose attacked us and he got away. We tried to follow after him, but then his men started to fire at us." The same officer said and Red X nodded.

"Okay. Try to call Gordon and tell him what happened. It would be best for you to wait here to keep an eye on these guys and to have a second unit come here as back up. I'll take care of Jervis." He said. The two men nodded before one officer returned to the car in order to call dispatch while the other went to stand guard over the thugs.

"You don't really think that you can take on the Mad Hatter do you?" Batman said as he continued to glare at Red X. X ignored him and walked over to the thugs, X-mite answered the question "He can take him on himself but We can take him." Batman brow twitched in annoyance and watched the young sidekick went after his mentor.

"You don't mind if I borrow this guy for a few minutes, do you?" Red X asked the officer as he grabbed one of the grunts that had woken up. "I just want to… talk to him about a few things." He said as he dug his hand into the mans' shoulder causing him to flinch. The thug looked up into the cops' face with a pleading look. The officer had a smirk on his face before it was replaced with a look of confusion.

"Huh, that's odd? I thought there had been seven attackers, not six? Oh, well I must have miscounted." Like he said earlier, Gotham's finest.

"An honest mistake officer, things can be so confusing when one is being shot at." Red X replied as he started to drag the still bound criminal away and into the shadows of Crime Alley with X-mite following as he crackles, similarly to the young Robin.

"No! Please! Someone help!" The thug shouted before Red X and X-mite teleported them to the rooftop of a building that was only a block away. They had to make this fast. They didn't know how this Batman interrogated criminals so they didn't want the man to see their interrogation skills, just in case they were too… excessive.

Red X pushed the criminal to the ground and let him try crawl away for a few feet before he walked over and stomped his foot hard into the mans' back. The thug let out an almost silent gasp as tried to reclaim the air that had been knocked out of him. X-mite didn't give him time to recover. He kicked the man in his side, making him roll over onto his back, and brought his right hand over the mans' eyes making sure that he could see the glowing X in his palm.