Chapter Fourteen

'hi dan, it's phil, i was just thinking that maybe we should meet up again today for a bit for the j&h project? bc its like at the end of this week or something.'

I woke early for a Sunday, ten am, and instantly checked my phone to find a text that I wasn't expecting.

I presume that Phil doesn't remember anything from Friday night which is a good thing I guess. Yet, apart of me wanted Phil to know that I was gay, because it could give me that incredibly slim chance.

Who am I kidding? I could never go out with Phil, my reputation wouldn't allow it.

I needed to text him back though, so I just agreed.

After I agreed, within a few minutes he asked me when and what time and we agreed on 4 at my house, as per usual.

For Phil's sake, I really hope that any of my 'friends' from school are in that park that we have to cross to get to each other's house, as this could potentially end badly.

We had just met up from school as per usual and were on the way back to my house, a comfortable silence between the two of us. Phil and I never tend to have many awkward silences, which is a good thing I guess in this small friendship we've got going on at the moment. I dare say it's nice having someone who gives a shit about me for once. It makes a change.

I met Phil in the park as if anything was to happen to us, I could at least try and help him some how.

We reached my front door, unlocked it, took off our shoes and pretty much went straight upstairs.

Thankfully, this project isn't as big as the Art one, so probably won't take as long as it's more of us just livestream debating infront of the class.

Anyway, we'd pretty much completed it by this point as it was due in in three days so all we had to do now was decide the layout of the events that are going to unfold.

We put our stuff down near my door and got out our English books to do the work.

"Hey Dan,"

"Yes Phil?"

"Do you believe in this kinda stuff? Like dual personalities and the contradiction of good and evil?" He questioned.

When I think about it, this is basically what I did when I moved here. I transformed into this Hyde, this evil, polar opposite person that I once was. Yet, when I came home, I acted like I usually do, I was myself.

"Erm, yeah. Yeah, I guess I do."

"Okay, care to expand?" Phil looked intrigued at this point, his pen in his right hand, scribbling down notes on a fresh page.

"I, erm, yeah okay," I must've sounded uncertain because he put his hand on my shoulder, rubbing my back lightly with comfort. "Well I suppose that, well, people act and behave completely different to one another, due to DNA and upbringing, yet around certain people they would try and, well, you know, impress people.

For example, Dr Jekyll might've not want to be this well respected doctor, maybe he wanted to infamous, maybe he suppressed what society would call 'abnormal behaviour' because he realised he wouldn't be accepted. Maybe he made this concoction as something to ease him to be himself."