Chapter Nineteen

As Phil had slept round mine on a Saturday, hopefully the hickeys that he had gave me hopefully would've faded slightly in time for Monday.

On Sunday, we hadn't really done anything but lounge around and do homework before Phil had to go home at three.

Even though we hadn't really done much, it was nice just being in his company, talking to him about random things that literally made no sense yet he articulated them mentally so he could respond. I don't know how but he always knows what I'm going on about.

On Monday, I met up with Phil as per usual and walked with him to school. I had to get up a few minutes earlier than I usually would to apply the makeup that would cover up my hickey. I thought I had done a good job so I left he house.

"Dan?"

"Yes Phil?"

"You forgot a love bite." He said awkwardly and looked down whilst blushing. Almost in shame.

"Shit, where?" I asked with sudden panic, if anyone saw it they'd probably assume correctly and say that it was Phil.

He pointed to the left side of my neck, that neared to the back of it. Relying on Phil's opinion, he said it was probably the largest one. Fuck.

"I'll have to keep my coat on all day or something."

"Okay."

When we got to school, I couldn't help feel extremely paranoid . Everyone around me was laughing, I don't know whether it was even at me, but they were laughing at something.

Then the whispering started. This was the worst because I could literally hear my name, being repeated, but not knowing what they were saying. It was excruciating.

The bell had chimed for form and Phil was sat on the other side of the room at the back whilst I was in the middle. We went to our seats and watched the rest of our form fill in. Then it happened.

Alfie, Marcus and Troye waltz into the class, taking the seats behind me and sitting down. Nothing really happened for the first five minutes, but when it did, the whole class knew about it.

Could be triggering, contains homophobic slurs and mention of suicide, read with care please.

"Hey, Howell's got a hickey!" Troye shouted, gaining everyone's attention.

"Oh yeah, hey, Dan, where did the hickey come from?" Marcus said, stepping closer to my neck to get a better look.

"Oi! Lester! This is impressive; you turned Howell into a faggot and gave him a fucking huge love bite, well done!" Alfie said, sarcastically, whilst everyone else in the class was laughing and Chris, PJ and Phil were looking scared about what was going to happen.

I had to act, fast. I had just gained my trust with Phil back, I couldn't let it drain through my fingers.

"Don't you dare say that! He didn't do anything but show love! There is nothing wrong with being gay, you can't help who you love. And don't ever use that word again."

"What, faggot?"

"Yes, now shut the fuck up and piss off."

"You say what Howell?"

"Alfie! Dan! Outside, now!" Our form tutor interrupted us, causing the class' laughter and gossip to die down.