Magician

Scarlett's POV

Today is the day. The children's benefit. I dressed in the black gown that was at my doorstep.

"Scar, are you sure you want to go out tonight? There will be press everywhere," Gordon asked.

"Not sure I have a choice" I muttered.

"What?"

"Nothing just tired," I brush off. He shrugs and drops me off at the event.

"If you need anything you know to call me right?"

I roll my eyes. "Yes dad" I mock and he chuckles. With that I step out and head inside.

Let the night begin.

"Ms. Gordon I presume?" I turn to see the man himself, Bruce Wayne.

"Yes. Nice to meet you Mr. Wayne," I nodded my head at him and shook his hand. He seemed like a nice kid. I felt bad that he was in the middle of all this chaos in Gotham.

"Please, call me Bruce. I remember hearing about your disappearance when I was younger. I'm sorry for what you went through but I'm glad you're back. I heard you don't remember, but you used to babysit me. If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask," he smiled and with that the conversation was over.

I took my seat next to Bruce, which he so kindly offered, and the magician aka Jerome, walked out on the stage and began his act. I have to admit the man was a craftsman.

After his stupid split person trick on Bruce he called up the Deputy Mayor.

"By the way, no one here is getting out alive," he warned but everyone laughed like it was a joke. I rolled my eyes. This is so cringy if people knew what was going to happen in a few minutes.

When the knife went through deputy Kane, all hell broke lose.

"Bruce, come on," I ushered him into hiding. I knocked out a few men with ease and continued on. Once I got him behind the curtain I went to go help others when Bruce stopped me.

"Who are you?" He asked.

"Nobody. Just your old babysitter," I shrugged and with that I left. I walked towards the stage when I saw Jerome on the phone.

"Don't worry I didn't touch a hair on your pretty little girlfriends head. Your niece however," I scoffed at that. He looked in my direction and ushered me over. They continued their little banter on live television and I got so bored I was playing with my nails.

"Enough! You need to pack up your pathetic little side show and go," I rolled my eyes when I saw Theo.

"Is that right?"

"As all the citizens of Gotham we are sick of you! You're a small vicious man with a pathetic need for attention. Enough. For god sakes enough"

"I'm curious what your leverage is here mister..."

"Galavan. Theo Galavan" he looked right at the camera and I tried not to laugh. Oh this was so played out. I was standing next to Barbara and she leaned in close to my ear.

"When I say run, you run," she whispered. I nodded slightly in agreement. I don't know what the plan was but glad she warned me.

I'll have to help Jerome out though. Knowing him he'll get stuck back in Arkham.

Wait, why do I care?

'Oh please! You know why you care stop kidding yourself," my conscience yelled.

Time went on and on until finally Theo was knocked out and Bruce came out of hiding and was now in the hands of Jerome.

Shit.

"Jerome don't fucking touch-"

"Princess I love you but if you don't shut your mouth right now," he warned and Barbara pulled me back. 'I'm sorry' I mouthed to Bruce.

That's when it all went to shit.

My uncle came storming in, guns blazing, but one word made everyone go silent.

"Enough!" Theo yelled. Jerome turned around and my heart stopped.

Theo stabbed him in the neck.

I screamed. I couldn't see anything else. I couldn't feel anything else not even Barbara trying to push me towards the exit. I was focused on the blood coming from Jerome's neck. I didn't even notice my hands were... on fire?

Luckily only Barbara noticed and covered them.

I fell to my knees as his body was laid on the floor. We made eye contact just before my lights went out and everything hit me.

Jerome Valeska. The circus boy. My first kiss. My first friend.

... Jeremiah. The favored man in our love triangle. The man who disappeared from the circus without a trace. The man who broke my heart.

I lost my memory and it finally came back, but I had to lose Jerome in the process.

Lights out, Scar. It's time to remember.
————