The Plan

Scarlett's POV

I sat back on the couch and let out a breath I didn't know I was holding and rubbed my temple.

"So you're telling me... I had a child with a complete psychopath?"

He nodded.

Right on queue, the baby monitor went off with crying. I shot out of my seat and ran towards the room. I threw the door open and ran to the crib. Once I met his eyes, I froze.

A tear slid down my cheek. I remember him.

Xander.

I picked him up and hugged him tightly.

"My precious baby boy," I cried lightly. Bruce's hand landed on my shoulder and I flinched before turning to face him.

"He can't stay here... h-he needs to be safe from that monster you're talking about."

"But Scarlett, you just got him back. Don't you-"

"I'd rather him be safe than dead... Besides, We have greater things to do."

"What are you getting at?"

"Teach me how to fight crime like you do... Gotham needs you and I want to help"

He was silent. I sighed but continued.

"Bruce... I know you're leaving Gotham soon. To train. To protect. Let me go with you," I plead.

"Scar, it's not that simple-"

"And why not?! Because I'm not the infamous Bruce Wayne? Because I have a kid I'm "fragile"? No. Listen to me," I stepped in front of him. "I have power. I have heart. Let me finally use it correctly."

It seemed like minutes before he responded.

"What's the plan?"
—————
Xander was put into hiding, but was announced to the public as dead. That one of the gangs got to him while I was in a coma. I love him, but I need him to be safe. If that means he hates me for the rest of his life so be it.

"You're really going, huh? For how long?," Gordon asked me. I gave him a weak smile and shrugged.

"Until the time comes, uncle. I expect pictures of the little one every so often. That's my cousin." He laughed at that.

"Of course, Scarlett. Just... keep in touch once in awhile alright? Just so I know you're alive."

"Aye eye captain!" I saluted him. We hugged and as I walked away towards the plane with Bruce I could feel the pull, but I pushed forward.

I will return to Gotham when the time is right. I'll be stronger. I'll be better.

I'll be me.
———
Word count- 410