Return

Scarlett's POV
(A few months later)
"You do realize I can handle myself, babe. I'm a queen of Gotham. I don't need your proxy keeping tabs on me," I told Jeremiah as I got dressed. Bruce wanted to train with me so I had to be up and early.

He was silent so I turned to face him. He had a smile on his face.

"You called me babe," he smiled. I rolled my eyes playfully.

"You're such a dork."

"True but back to your concern I simply do it as a precaution, love."

"I don't need precaution. I'm me."

"Exactly why you need precaution." I scoffed before walking over to him and mocking his words before kissing him goodbye.

"Be back soon and please... keep your phone on."

"Okay dad," I mocked before leaving.
———-

It's been a few months since Jerome was taken, and now he is back in Arkham. I've been staying with Bruce for a while now, going back and forth from his to Jeremiah's place. Things have seemed quiet around here... Too quiet. Which always means something bad is going to happen.

Sure enough, Bruce comes out of nowhere and kicks me back. We have been training together while I stayed here, and he always loves the element of surprise. I grabbed his foot when he tried to kick me again and twisted his body around and watched him fall to the ground.

"We're going to have to talk about it some time, Scar," he grunted as he got to his feet once more. I rolled my eyes. He has been trying to get me to talk about Jerome ever since he left and each time I refuse. There's no point. I've moved on. End of story. But, just to shut him up...

"Well, I loved him. There is no doubt about that, but I am a different person than I was before. Stronger, and therefore don't feel the same way" I explained as we went back and forth with a few punches. "Sure, I loved him, but That's gone."

He ducked as I swung my leg at him.

"You deserve better, Scar," he said. I'm glad that Bruce has a calming attitude about the past situation between Jerome and I. It's settling. I took this as my chance and swung my legs from under him and pinned him to the ground. I smiled at him.

"I appreciate that, Bruce. Truce?" He nodded. I got off of him and helped him up when Alfred walked in the room with a worried face.

"Master Bruce, I'm afraid I have bad news," he stated.

"What happened?"

"Jerome has broken out of Arkham... Again," Bruce looked at me wide eyed and I nodded.

"Call Jim and tell him we'll meet him at the station," Bruce said and he turns to me.

"Are you ready for this, Scarlett?"

----------------------------
"Scarlett, come on. We have to go," Gordon grabbed my arm and helped me into the car right when I arrived on the Station steps. Bruce was nowhere to be seen.

"What? Why?" He looked at me with fear in his eyes.

"We need to get to Jerome's next target before he does. He just attacked an office building that he thought the target was in," he stated as the car drove off.

"Jim, you know I don't really fight for the same cause you do. I'm now a leader of Gotham, and we hardly have good intentions, if any at all."

"I know, but Scarlett you're going to want to see this guy," he stated and I looked at him in confusion but decided not to press any further. I glanced at my phone to see dozens of calls and texts from Jeremiah.

'Can't talk. On "mission" with my uncle. Will be back tonight.' I text back not bothering to look at the others.

I should have.

It was sunset, and we were in the middle of nowhere. OR, at least that's what I thought. It was a hidden house in the middle of nowhere... The owner must be really paranoid.

And then it hit me...

Fuck.

Jeremiah. The man is Jeremiah duh!

"Thank you for seeing us, Mr. Wilde," Gordon said as we walked in to see his back turned to us.

The both of them immediately raised their guns when they saw it was an exact copy of Jerome. He put his hands up.

"If I may put my hands down gentleman," he started and they lowered the guns. Jeremiah now just noticed me and his eyes widened. I winked at him.

"Sorry, Mr. Wilde you look like the guy we're currently after."

"That's understandable. You can call me Jeremiah. That's the name my mother gave me. You solved her murder, Captain Gordon. I owe you a debt of gratitude for that and for putting Jerome in Arkham, where he belongs," He looked down when he said the last part.

"He never spoke of you"

"I suppose he never did, from what I saw in my Mother's letters it was ever since I left the circus he never mentioned me again. They hid me away to protect me from him. We were always different, Jerome and I. From an early age, I showed proficiency for maps and designs and Jerome liked the mutilation of alley cats," he sighed and looked at me. "I'm sorry, I don't mean to speak ill of your boyfriend in your presence"

"He's not my boyfriend you potato. Quit the act," I said and he chuckled for a second. The detectives looked confused so I quickly muttered "I'll explain later."

"In my heart, I knew one day Jerome would come for me."

"Well, that day is today, pops," Harvey said. "We have reason to believe Jerome knows where you are. We need to move you to a safe location."

"That won't be necessary, Gentleman. I have spent a bulk of my life preparing for this eventuality. I am safest here, in my home."

"Not anymore," Gordon said. "Jerome got your Proxy"

"The proxy was a fake," I rolled my eyes.

"You're lying," I spoke up and he turned to me in surprise.

"Beg your pardon?" Gordon noticed too and soon saw the security cameras behind him.

"Security cameras were on but are now turned off, why is that?"

"I don't see why that's any of your concern now if you excuse me I'm a very busy man," but Gordon turned on the monitors and I squeezed Jeremiah's arm as I looked at the scene before me.

"Jerome," I muttered and I felt light headed suddenly. I had no clue why. "Jeremiah," I sighed hoping he can catch me as I began to fall. Luckily, he did and lowered me to the floor gently. I saw a faint image of him above me and smiled. "Pretty," i giggled before everything went black.

------