Mistaken Identity

Scarlett's POV

After spending some time with Jeremiah discussing the insanity gas, he assured me he was fine and that all it really did was the features he revealed to me outside the bunker. I wanted to believe him, I really did, but I know there's more than that and something tells me it's all going to blow up soon.

We stopped conversing when Bruce arrived, and I greeted him by tackling him to the ground in a hug.

"Good to see you too, weirdo," he chuckled as I helped him stand up.

"Sorry I haven't been around a lot. It's just after Jerome.." I trailed off and he raised a hand to signal me to stop.

"Scarlett, you don't have to explain anything to me. I just want you to be okay. Besides, you'll always have a room at the mansion. I want you to know that no matter what, you're like a sister to me and I'll always be here for you." I felt my cold heart soar at that moment and I gave him a hug before we went to Jeremiah's office to discuss the generators. Somehow we got sidetracked, and we started talking about Jerome. Jeez, like I said: The guy is dead but somehow still here to annoy me.

"Arkham asylum sent me Jerome'e personal effects, and I found his diary. It's a catalog of his fantasies and goals. Every twisted vision he ever had," Jeremiah told Bruce after we witnessed the generators work perfectly.

"Maybe you shouldn't spend so much time looking at them," Bruce suggested.

"He's obsessed with murdering and torturing me, James Gordon and you. He dreamed about killing anyone who came in contact with Scarlett and the e-explicit things he would do to her. If he had been just the least bit of sane he would've destroyed us all. And Gotham would be in ruin"

"Sounds like Jerome," I muttered but was ignored as Bruce continued.

"Your brother is dead, Jeremiah. It's time for you to come out of this bunker and join the world"

"I still have trouble believing it," Jeremiah sighed before Bruce got a phone call. "Who is that?"

"Just Alfred," he answered and walked over to the other side of the room and finish the phone call.

"Yes, thank you," he said before ending the call. "Lunch plans"

Lie.

"That was a lie. You're lying to me Bruce?"

"You're right, I'm sorry. It seems some ofJeromes followers are causing trouble," he said and Jeremiah started backing away from us. He was just raving about Jerome the other night. Now he's terrified? Either the gas gave him bipolar disorder or something else is going on.

"Oh my God. I was right," his breathing began to get heavy.

"No, Jeremiah"

"I was right, he's not dead. Bruce he's not dead. He's alive and he's coming after me and Scarlett!"

He paused for a moment.

"He sprayed me with some insanity gas. It was a special mixture made just for me, he said. I can't stop seeing him. Clawing his way out of his grave and coming for mean even though I know it's not real, it feels real. I can't control myself"

"What if I could show you he's dead and buried?"

"How?"

"We go there. To his grave"

"No"

"Jeremiah listen to me your brother took away your greatest strength your mind. and he put you in a trap but if you can see the reality then you can be free from that trap"

"And you think that would work?" I asked after just observing their conversation.

"I do"

"Then I'll try," Jeremiah sighed.

"I'll go too. I need some fresh air this bunker has got some weird vibes, man," I stated. "No offense, babe."

----------

We made our way to the cemetery and as we were walking in the direction of Jerome's grave, Bruce tried calling Alfred again but got no answer. We made it up the hill and stopped in our tracks when we saw that his grave had been dug up.

"Oh god, no," Jeremiah sighed. Honestly, I'm not even surprised.

"His followers must have dug him up. We have to get out of here"

"He's alive!" Jer yelled before running away from us.

"Jeremiah!" Bruce and I yelled in unison as we chased after him. We followed him into this crypt like room and we couldn't see him. "Jeremiah we need to leave it's not safe!"

"Believe me now? Jerome is alive"

"No, Jeromes followers dug him up. They're sick and also dangerous and might be nearby"

"How can I trust you two if you won't believe me?"

"You can trust us because we're your friends," Bruce said.

"I want you to be my friend, Bruce. You don't know what it was like, living underground all those years. Then you came along and offered me everything I could dream of."

"Because I believe in you, Jeremiah. We're gonna do great things for Gotham. We can still do that, all we have to do is leave"

"First, all we had to do was come to the cemetery. Now all we have to do is leave? See, thats very confusing to me so tell me again... Bruce, why'd you really bring me here?"

"I thought it would help. I was wrong, but we need to leave," Bruce tried to step forward but Jeremiah shot at his feet. I screamed and Bruce pulled me behind him.

"What the hell are you doing?" I yelled in annoyance.

"You didn't think I knew what was happening from the moment you suggested coming here?"

"Jeremiah what are you talking about-"

"Stop pretending to be my friend. I know whats really happening. You can fool everyone else, even Scarlett, but not me. You made a switch and you can't hide not even behind that new face of yours... brother"

Oh jeez I've fallen in love with another crazy person. Why can't I get a break?!

--------------