Escape

Scarlett's POV

I awoke with a pounding headache, memories from before flooding my mind. Of course, Jeremiah. I'm not surprised in the least.

Once I felt able to walk, I headed downstairs into the front entrance of the hideout when I was stopped by Jeremiah walking in and locking the only exit to this hideout before turning to me.

"How is your head?" he asked and I rolled my eyes. Like he could care.

"It would be better if you were out of my sight," I sassed. "Where were you?"

"It's just you and me now. Jeromes followers betrayed me. I had to exterminate them"

My eyes went wide but hid my shock with a scoff.

"Not surprised. You didn't keep your promises and everything you've planned has failed. I don't blame them," he shoved me against the wall and held my throat with a tight grip.

"I would chose my next words very carefully if I were you," he warned.

"That's what we have in common, Miah," I smirked darkly. "We're both careless, but you see the difference is," I paused and put my lips to his ear. "I never lose"

I kicked him away from me and watched as he stumbled backwards. I tried to open the door but it was locked. I groaned in annoyance before spinning around to face Jeremiah. He swung at me, but not full force because I know he doesn't want to hurt me, so I took advantage of this and elbowed him in the face, knocking him to the ground.

I ran up the flight of stairs with Jeremiah right on my tail. I lit a path behind me on fire to give me more time. I know theres a balcony in Jeremiahs room but its too high up. However, there is a window in his bathroom that has a tricky path down but manageable.

I ran into his room and stood guard on the other side, hands lit and ready to go as I watched him enter.

"You can't keep me prisoner here, Jeremiah!"

"I just want to keep you safe," he said and stepped closer to me. I kept my guard up and raised my flamed hand towards him in warning.

"I can take care of myself"

"And what about those who care for you?"

I decided to play clueless.

"What are you talking about?" I scoffed. He moved closer to me and grabbed my arm gently. I put my fire out to look even more vunerable.

"I care about you. I want to keep you safe"

"But... Why?"

"You're my weakness, Scarlett. If anything happened to you.." he trailed off. I decided to play along.

"You don't want me to get hurt?"

"Never" he leaned in and I let him kiss me. When he pulled away I smiled. "I just want the best for... us"

"Fine," I sighed. "I'll try to go along with this. Just... stop trying to kill the very last of my family and friends. That doesn't show you love me, Jer. It... It hurts."

"Thank you, my darling Daisy. I'm sorry for our fight earlier as well. Can I run you a bath?"

"That would be lovely," I smiled. He nodded and went into the bathroom to fill up the tub and get everything set up.

Now was my chance. I threw on my leather pants with my leather jacket, all black because I'm extra, and laced on my combat boots. I tied my hair up in a ponytail and grabbed my daggers and gun.

I pulled out my phone and texted Barbara.

Scarlett: Making my escape. Pick me up in the alleyway on 5th in 10th.

I slid my phone in my pocket and gently put a chair under the bathroom handle to lock Jeremiah in. I warmed the handle up as well so if he did want to get out, he'd have to break it down. I quickly ran downstairs and once I reached the upper window in the kitchen, which was hard to reach but was my only escape right now, I heard Jeremiah call for me.

"Scarlett?" I heard the door knob jiggle for a second before he cursed at the temperature as I lifted myself up to the window.

"Scarlett!?!" He kicked the door in and I quickly fell out on the other side. I ran out into the forest and just headed east, knowing eventually I'll know where i am.

"Scarlett don't do this. You know I'll find you. I'll go easy if you come back now"

I rolled my eyes and ran off into the night. Sure, I have feelings for him, I love the guy for fucks sake, but I'm not gonna be held hostage like a damsel in distress. No matter how much you love them you shouldn't have to put up with their bullshit. Even if his is taking over Gotham and murdering people. No excuse. We're better than that.

Besides, I have a job to do.
————