Pale

Scarlett's POV

I woke up earlier than expected, so I decided to start getting ready for the day. I went into the bathroom, but the shower's water was off, so I decided to just go take one in Jeremiah's room. I grabbed my towel and put on my robe before heading down the hall. I knocked lightly before opening his door to see him reading something.

"Mind if I use your shower? Water's a bit off down the hall," I asked and he just nodded. I closed the bathroom door behind me before taking a quick shower. When I got out, the steam filled the mirrors and it was quite warm in here. I wrapped the towel securely around my figure before opening the bathroom door. Not that I don't want him to see me, he's seen it before, but thinking of it as a... punishment.

"My apologies for my behavior last night. It was out of line," Jeremiah spoke up.

"Apology accepted. Now, if you'll excuse me," I made my way to the door but stopped in the entrance when Jeremiah spoke up once more.

"How are you feeling?"

I didn't have a response so I just stayed silent.

"He's not coming back, you know," he stated and I sighed.

"I'm aware," I responded in annoyance before heading back to my room. I wasn't so sure about what he said. Jerome may never come back, but I'm starting to think his influence has... And convenient for him since it's on someone who looks exactly like him.

------------

I walked into his office after breakfast and saw him looking over some blueprints. I was walking up to him but stopped behind him to see what he was working on.

"Bruce will be coming over today," he states but I can tell just from his tone alone he has more to say.

"Cool," I said simply and he slammed his pen down and turned to face me. I raised an eyebrow at him. This should be good.

"Why must you aggravate me so?"

"What are you talking about?"

"I apologized yet you're still acting hostile towards me," he confessed and I looked away from him for a moment. I think I've been avoiding him because deep down I know I'm attracted to this new Jeremiah too, but can I love him the same? I know things will change majorly and I guess I just want to stay in this bubble a little longer. I should have expected this coming out of Arkham. There was no way I could've had a normal life. The only thing normal about it was that I'm in love... If you remove the part about me being in love with a becoming psychopath. Let's just pray that the insanity gas failed... crap I'm an atheist.

I snapped out of my thoughts and looked at Jeremiah, about to respond, when I noticed something. There was a patch of white on his skin. Out of curiosity, I slowly reached up and tried to wipe it away but more white showed up. Before I could continue, Jeremiah grabbed my wrist and pulled my hand away slowly. We never broke eye contact until he let go of my hand and turned around to face his blueprints once more.

I looked down at my thumb and raised an eyebrow.

Was this... makeup?

"Jeremiah, can you do me a favor? I left my notebook upstairs. Could you please grab it for me and I'll call it even," I smiled goofy at him. I just needed him out of here for a moment so I could search for answers. Curiousity always gets the better of me.

"Seriously?" He raised an eyebrow and I just smiled wider. He rolled his eyes. "Fine. Stay here," he sighed and headed out of the room. Right when he was out of sight I snapped my head around and began searching the desk for any explanation. Nothing was in any of the drawers until I reached the top one to find out it was locked.

I quickly walked over to the counter and grabbed the key that was hidden under the jar... What? I'm observant.

I opened the drawer to find makeup, hair dye and lipstick... I picked up the foundation and it matched the color on my thumb. What the hell is going on here?

I have to get out of here.

I heard footsteps approaching the office and I dropped the foundation on the floor before closing the drawer and putting the key under some papers. I kicked the bottle under the desk before heading towards the door and ended up running straight into Jeremiah, who was holding my notebook.

"Oh you are such an angel, thank you!" I said taking the notebook from him. He looked at me skeptically, probably because I'm never this nice. "I'll be back in a minute. Kind of hungry," I shrugged and moved past him before I made my way down the hallway and I knew he would find the bottle so I had to make this fast.

I threw the front door open and quickly ran outside into a small forest as it started to rain.

"Scarlett!" He called after me. I had my back to him and when I slowly turned to face him I saw the makeup running down his face to reveal pale skin and red lips.

"How-"

"I was going to tell you, but I didn't know how you'd react," he sighed looking down. I slowly reached up and rested my hand on his cheek.

"It was the gas... wasn't it?" he nodded. I could tell he cared about my opinion on the matter so after a moment I shrugged. "I happen to think it looks good on you"

"Really?"

"Really... I think Casper has some competition now."

He rolled his eyes and sighed. I winced knowingly.

"Ruined the moment?"

"Yup," he sighed. I shrugged.

"Let me make it up to you," I suggested before crashing my lips against his.

-----------