Chapter One

(Hey! I'm writing this from the future, and just saying, tHE STORY GETS BETTER! DON'T ABANDON AFTER THE FIRST CHAPTER, IT GETS BETTER! I'm serious.)

"Orchid Summer-Spring Lakes! Get up, or else I'm going to punch you!" said Ms. Gregory. She's the manager here at Sweet Souls Orphanage For Disturbed Girls and One Boy. I got up and began to brush my long, violet-grey hair. I have naturally violet-grey hair and purple eyes.

Next, I went to the closet in my room to pick out my outfit. I have a private room because I'm Ms. Gregory's favorite. It has white walls, with one purple wall, and dark brown hardwood floors.

I select a pair of black floral ankle boots, plain blue skinny jeans, which are the only pants I have other than a pair of shorts and formal pants, and a plain white t-shirt, which is also one of the four shirts I own.

I go downstairs and begin cleaning the 'showroom' for today, which is the annual adoption fair. I immediately think of my parents, who died when I was 6, in a car crash 10 years ago.

I had one aunt, and my grandparents died long before my parents did. Aunt Nilla dropped me off here right after all the family calmed down and stopped calling and visiting.

She was too focused on her acting career to care about me. I hear, from magazines that I read when I go to school, that my aunt, who was in one movie, had destroyed her life with alcohol. I don't feel bad at all. Even though we display our home as a safe, nurturing place, Ms. Gregory beats us every once in a while, when she gets really mad or really drunk, which is not very rare.

I go and wake up my friends first, Alison, who has naturally red hair and pure black eyes (which apparently used to be orange), who is 17, November-Nancy, who has natural dark purple hair and red eyes, who is 17, Saffron, with natural army green hair and bright yellow eyes, also 17, and Lucifera with the natural pale pink eyes and stark white hair, 18, Fergus, who has robin's egg blue eyes and black/purple hair. He is also 16.

We talk for a while, and then its time for breakfast. Suddenly, Alison's head spins around 180 degrees, and she says in a deep throaty voice, "Waffles. Now." Saffron says, "Again, Alison really?"