Chapter Fourteen

When we were looking through the files, I found a folder with my name on it. I took it to my room so Saffron and I could read them alone. I took out my birth certificate.

Name: Orchid Summer Day

DOB: January 17, 1999

Mother: Kathryn Felicia Day

Father: Billy Horrible

"Wait, Saffron, that makes no sense. My parents names were Kelly and Robert Lakes. Unless...they weren't my biological parents?" I was so confused. Then, Saffron found my first adoption file.

Name: Orchid Summer Day

DOB: January 17, 1999

Biological Mother: ?

Biological Father: ?

Adopted at age: 8 Mo.

Adoptive parents: Kelly  and Robert Lakes

"So, I guess I never noticed that my family had no baby photos of me. My mom was young, only about 27. It made a lot more sense than that. I loved my adoptive mother to death, and she loved me. My dad, I loved him, but he was always working. I was mute for almost a year. Remember? I was almost 8, and I didn't talk for at least a month." I was so upset that my mom died, and I couldn't do anything. Aunt Nilla did mention putting me back where I belong. She's a drug addict now so oh well. We were going home from Christmas at my grandmother Gilda's house. The last words they said to me were, "Goodnight, we love you." When I woke up, my mom was calming me from the front, and she was whispering words of comfort to me, holding my hands, trying to get me to look away from Dad, who was lying dead on the airbag. She survived three more days, and when we thought she was going to live, someone accidentally overdosed her. The last thing she ever gave to me was her ring, and a letter that she told me to open once she was dead for
ten years, and I haven't gotten the chance to read it. We were adopted on her 10th death anniversary.

Dearest Orchid,
I hate to tell you this way, but you were adopted. Your mother, we managed to find. Felicia Day. You have a sister, mine and Robert's child, Kelsey, and she lives in Los Angeles. We found out how you made your way into the orphanage. You were kidnapped when you were not even 8 months old, which was when we adopted you. You were the light of our lives. Take my ring, and Remember, we will always love you.
Love,
Mother.

The next day, I booked a flight to Los Angeles, and told everyone. I couldn't tell Fergus and November, they were furiously making out. Mom and Jared were fine with it, and Saffron and Alison were coming with me. Lucifera was away at Comic Con. May was in France with Edgar Nipslips, and Mildred and the dog were on a kidnapping trip. We took off, and planned to be back by midnight, which is a really early curfew. We slept through the entire fight. I managed to track down my family, and Saffron and Alison were coming with me. I knocked on her door, and she answered. "Please don't be a fan. I don't want to deal with this right now." "Oh no, no, I just wanted to say hi, and to see you again for the first time in 15 years and 6 months." I saw her gasp, and she invited me and my friends in to talk. "Hi, Mom, it's been a while." I said, laughing through tears. "Yep. That night was the worst night of my life. I put you down in the couch, and went to go get a glass of water. I heard a smash, and the window was broken, and I saw you in a woman's arms, still sound asleep. I tried to chase her, but by the time I got out the door, you were in a white van, driving down the street." "I'm here now, and things are gonna get better, Mom, if I can call you that." "Yes, of course! If only your father was here to see you all grown up." she said, tears welling in here green orbs. "He is away on a business trip, he works with the Evil League of Evil. I know it sounds wrong, but he is so sweet.