Unspoken (Watty Awards 2011) Chapter Two: My Name

• Dedicated to Tavarius Harris Tvar

So this chapter is dedicated to one of the funnies guys I've had the privelage of meeting. He is so nice, so talented, and everytime I talk to him, he always makes me laugh. So for all your support, I dedicate this chapter to you, Tavarius!!!

___________________________________________________________________________

The rest of class is spent in a daze. Just when I get a new chance, things go awry as usual. We’re reading Romeo and Juliet aloud. Which means that each student calls on someone to read. It was Rosalie’s turn, and as she finished, she cast her gaze around the room for the second time today. Once again, her gaze landed right on me. Me being the special kid I am, I didn’t look into her eyes. But I heard it anyway.

My name. she called my name. Her voice resounded off the walls as my classmates stifled back laughter. Of course she called my name. Of course she didn’t understand. Finally, Lee laughed. She turned around, looked at me, and she laughed. My cheeks turned bright red with anger and embarrassment. The whole class laughed along with her. Even Mrs. Daniels. I wanted to scream.

As the wave of laughter died down, Mrs. Daniels awkwardly cleared her throat. I knew what she was gonna say even before she said it. “Rosie. It’s sweet of you to call on Emma, but you see she’s…” she paused and gave me a warm smile as she continued. “She’s a very special child.” There we go, using the word special again. “Miss Emma is the first ever autistic student here. She cannot speak, but she can learn like you and me.” Once again, the class laughed at me and my stupid disease. Mrs. Daniels did nothing to stop the jeering. Instead, she pretended nothing was happening. I couldn’t take it any longer.

I abruptly stood from my seat and marched to the door. Mrs. Daniel’s hand rested on my shoulder, and I flinched at her touch. The class, for the third time in the past ten minutes, laughed again. “You don’t have to be angry, Emma.” She said, layering her voice with the disarmament of a kindergarten teacher. See, they treat me like I’m stupid, when I promise I’m smarter than half those kids sitting around me. Including that hideous Lee.

I wanted to yell at her. She didn’t understand. I don’t have to be angry? You’ve GOT TO be kidding me. At that instant, I really, really, really wished I could talk.

“Hey Emma, I turned towards Lee’s cold unattractive voice. “Cat got your tongue?” she taunted. And of course, everyone, including Mrs. Daniels laughed. I didn’t need to look up to see that every student was enjoying themselves at my expense. I could hear it. And with that, I walked out the door, not even looking back.