Unspoken (Watty Awards 2011) Chapter Twenty Four: The Omen

September 22                                                                                               

To my disliking ,Grant isn’t at school today. I guess he probably got sick at Sunshine’s party on Friday. Going to Sunshine’s would’ve been better than being humiliated by Lee and her group of friends. A group of kids freeze and whisper when I walk by, making my face turn bright red with fury. Why did I decide to go? It was a stupid mistake that makes me more of a loser now than I was before.

By the time lunch rolls around, I’m exhausted. Still no sign of Grant. You’re probably wondering why I’m so obsessed with him by now. We dated all year last year. I know, I know, I had a boyfriend. It still amazes me today. Surprisingly, we worked real well considering I’m autistic and can’t talk and he’s some Goth kid. Even though we weren’t together anymore, the two of us were close friends.

“Do any of you know where Grant is?” Rosalie asks, her mouth stuffed with food.

Rachel frowns and shakes her head. “Haven’t seen him since Friday. He seemed fine.” She shrugs and continues to eat as the conversation begins to rage.

“It’s probably some twenty four hour bug.” Sunshine says, not looking up from her newest Ellen Hopkins book.

“I hope he’s ok.” Natalie says in a hushed tone. Silence falls over the group like she just bestowed a curse.

“Let’s just drop it guys.” Rachel snaps.

But a pang of dread doesn’t settle, even though the conversation is over.

And it never does.