Unspoken (Watty Awards 2011) Chapter Seven: Hot Coffee

• Dedicated to Raechel Mastroff

One of my first friends in Aida. Actually no, I think she WAS my first friend in Aida. I love her with all my heart. She is so deep, funny, and she is my rocky horror buddy <3 So this chapter goes to you bffeee!!! <333

____________________________________________________________________________

August 25th                                                                           

As I watch the reactions on their faces, I smile wider. They were impressed by me. Well, at least Rosalie was; Lee was busy filing her nails. I know both were impressed, though one refused to show it.

I wasn’t surprised when Lee dragged Rosalie out. But the disappointment still lingered in my heart. I could feel her penetrating gaze one me, even though I knew she was gone. Maybe I’m not used to being noticed. My mind wanders as I end the song with a simple a la second.

“So I'm down upon my knees

Oh lord, I need forgiveness

I need forgiveness from you”

And on the last note, I collapse. Not because I’m tired, but because that’s how I want to end the song. The next song blares on the speakers, but I don’t move to stop it. Instead, I lie there, letting the music swallow me whole.

~:*:~                                                   ~:*:~                                                   ~:*:~

I walk into Literature and the whole class stops moving, talking and even breathing. I ignore it as I walk to take my usual seat in the back. Mrs. Daniels is late, as always. I feel the familiar heat of Rosalie’s gaze. She’s sitting next to Lee, No surprise. Before my mind processes it, I feel the cold of the floor on my face. She tripped me. Lee Williams tripped me. She bent over, trying to help me but her coffee accidently spilt all over me.

The class erupted in laughter at the sight of brown smelly coffee all over my clean white shirt.

“I didn’t like that flavor anyway.” Lee says, paying more attention to her nails than to the students around her that congratulate her. Congratulations? For what? Picking on someone who’s different? I finally force myself to stand up, and a burning hot sensation hits my face.

Lee took Rosalie’s coffee and threw it at me. My face burned. I was choking on my tears. But what good would that do? Crying? It would make them laugh harder. Before my tears fall, I walk out with the little dignity I have left.

And as I close the door, a single brownish-clear tear falls down my face.