Unspoken (Watty Awards 2011) Chapter Forty Three: Let's Pretend...

October 20                                                                                Emma POV

Do you know how hard it is to sleep when there’s a high pitched beeping sound three feet from your ears? Let me tell you, it’s freaking impossible. I lifted my eyelids even though it felt like it was impossible to. Stretching my arms, I raised my head off the hard pillow it was previously resting on. And then I saw him. Lawrence. He was sleeping on achair in the corner. My cheeks turned bright red. He was waiting for me. Watching me sleep.

I clap my hands and Lawrence jumps, wide awake.

“Emma!” He stands and runs to my side, wrapping his arms around me. I can’t escape his grasp. Damn it. “I-I was so worried.” He stammered. I nodded “I’m so sorry about last night.” Great. Of course he has to bring up the wreck between us.

“I was drunk and you were drunk.” His hand rested on mine. “I never meant for it to go that far.” Yeah, but it did. “Please give me another chance.” His voice cracked. I took the doctor’s clip and pen and wrote on the back of the medical examination paper.

I folded the piece of paper and handed it to him. He quickly read it over and frowned.

“Emma…I-I can’t break up with Lee. I can’t choose between you two.” I nodded. “I’m dating Lee. I can’t choose.” He took a deep breath. “I love Lee.” He breathed. I bit my bottom lip. “But I love you too.” Lawrence stood from my bed and kissed my forehead.

“I’ve always loved you.”

He stepped out of the room and stood in the doorway. Just lingering there.

“And Emma,” I looked up into his blue-ish gray eyes. The eyes that had welcomed and loved me a mere two weeks ago.

“Let’s pretend this never happened.” I nodded and tried my best to manage a smile.

And he left.