Unspoken (Watty Awards 2011) Chapter Eleven: I know

August 27th                                                                                                    Chapter Eleven

I made sure no one found out about yesterday. With my hair down, the wound was covered. And after a few hours, I woke up from the auditorium. I wiped off the seat I fell on that was covered in blood. Before walking home, I made a stop at the lost and found and changed my outfit. Mom and dad wouldn’t care. They’d care if there was blood. I needed to hide the evidence.

On my way out, my favorite blue shirt and white khakis were tossed in the trash, never to be seen again.

:~*~:                           :~*~:                           :~*~:                           :~*~:                           :~*~:

Miss Shoppe stops me in the hall, wondering about my essay that was due in a few weeks. “Have you gotten anything figured out?” she asks. I nod my head, lying and walking away to my locker. Thank God it’s Friday…

“I know what my essay’s gonna be about.” Lee announces a few lockers away from me. Her group simultaneously asks what, clinging desperately to her every word. “I’m writing about a loser,” she begins. I breathe sharply, intrigued by her words. “Like Emma.” She and her posy giggle, knowing that I can hear every word. Rosalie is nowhere to be found.

“What happens to the Em-I mean loser?” a girl asks.

Surprisingly enough, I listen closely to her answer, hoping for a happy ending.

“Oh, she kills herself.” Lee says in a carefree voice. I slam my locker shut. Lee’s unnerving glare pierces into my skin; it’s nothing like the curiosity and caring in Rosalie’s gazes. “I guess you could say it’s doing the world a favor.” She purrs. I knew it was meant to me. So, I walked to dance class before I did something I knew I’d regret.

~:*~:                                       ~:*:~                                       ~:*:~                                       ~:*:~

Mrs. Johnson begins class immediately without Rosalie. Lee’s here, so my mind begins to wander.

“Emma!” I blink in surprise at Mrs. Johnson, who’s been talking in my face the whole time. I blush and the class holds back laughter. “How’s your solo?” I shrug. To me, it’s good, no better than good. She smiled at me. “How about you show us on Monday?” I shrug again, not really paying attention anymore. “Ok! I’ll dismiss the class after this one quick announcement!” Everyone stands, ready to leave, ready for the weekend. “Our newest member, Rosalie, has just left us. I guess she couldn’t handle our group’s intensity.” Lee cursed from the back of the room. With a wave of her hand, Mrs. Johnson dismissed the class and we stampeded out like a herd of elephants.

:*:                                            :*:                                            :*:                                            :*:

I guess I was sad about the news. But, it was best for Rosalie. I reminded myself over and over as I opened up my locker. A folded note fell out, dancing on the wind. I caught it just before it hit the ground and opened it. It was the note I gave to Rosalie. But why did she give it back? I wondered, searching the note. There was nothing on the front, so I checked the back. My face instantly lit into a huge smile. There on the back page, in Rosalie’s lacy handwriting were two words.

I know