Unspoken (Watty Awards 2011) Chapter Forty One: Broken Bones...

October 20                                                                                        Rosalie POV

Emma’s parents are sitting in the back of my mom’s car, silent as tears drip down their unnaturally pale faces. I ran through three red lights to get to Emma’s house. When the heard the news, they ran to my car.

The clean smell from the hospital hits me when I walk inside. For an ER, this place really isn’t busy.

“Name please.” A monotone-voiced nurse asks.

“Emma Walters.” I reply. The nurse nods and types on her computer. Her eyes dart around the screen, and she eventually nods again.

“Follow me please,” she stands and we follow her down the white, spotless hallways. I look around at each of the rooms and a chill runs down my spine. Many of the rooms are dark with an eerie glow from the televisions. In a few rooms, I can hear groaning or crying which I’m sure only frightens Emma’s parents even more.

The nurse pushes through a door that says RESTRICTED AREA AUTHORIZED PERSONALL ONLY

“I’m assuming you’re family, so you’re allowed in here. The doctors are taking a few x-rays, so she won’t be much longer.” A look of horror flashes across Emma’s parents’ faces. I follow their  gaze and I too have a shocked look as the scene stretches further.

It’s Emma. She’s struggling in the x-ray room as the doctors try to get her to remain still. Lawrence is in there, too, coaxing her with the others. Out of nowhere, a nurse appears and injects a shot into her arm. Emma struggles for a moment, then she stops moving.

After fifteen minutes or so, the x-rays are done. Emma is carted away, we go follow her, but a doctor stops us.

“Why’d you take an x-ray? Can’t you see her leg is broken?!” Emma’s mom asks.

“We now it’s broken, ma’am; we just had to check the severity of the situation.” The doctor responded. “You both are too…emotional to handle this. When she wakes up, we’ll call you. For now, go get something to eat.”

“No.”

“Excuse me?” the doctor asked, bewildered by Mr. and Mrs. Walter’s force.

“We’re staying here with our daughter.”

“Fine. I just advise you walk around some.” The doctor said, storming away.

Mrs. Walters looked at me, then her husband.

“He’s probably right. We can’t see our little girl in that state.” She turned to me. “John and I saw a Chick-Fil-A a couple blocks away…” her voice trailed off and I understood what she was getting at.

“Need a ride?” I dug around in my purse for my keys.

“Please,” Emma’s dad said politely. I nodded and began to leave the hospital with Mr. and Mrs. Walters.

“Wait!” Mrs. Walters exclaimed. I skidded to a stop and turned around. “What about that young man? We should invite him to come…”

“I’ll go get him.” I volunteered. The Walters thanked me as I marched off to find Lawrence.

***                                                      ***                                                      ***

As I suspected, he was in the room, watching Emma sleep. The second I walked in, his gaze shifted over to me.

“We’re going to eat. You can come if you wanna.” I said, finally breaking the awkward silence that fell between us. He glanced back at Emma, and then looked at me.

“I’m gonna stay here. With Emma.” His gaze went back to her.

“You want me to getcha something?” Lawrence nodded. Figuring that’s all I’d get of him right now, I walked back to Mr. and Mrs. Walters.