Unspoken (Watty Awards 2011) Chapter Thirty Six: Selfish Asshole

October 20th                                                                                      Lawrence POV

I didn’t know it was possible to completely ruin everything good in your life in one night. For one night, I had forgotten about all my problems, about everything, and  I could imagine life as something better. She was something worth living for.

And what did I do? I gave in, I didn’t fight.

She was right. I was selfish. I’d always be selfish.

I searched my drawers for a paper and pen and after a moment, I found them, writing a quick three word note before I tucked it into my pocket. I took water and two pills for her. I stood outside the guest room door for a moment. I almost expected her to come out, thrashing out at me.

But she didn’t.

***                                                      ***                                                      ***

I had called Rosalie to pick up Emma since I knew she wouldn’t want to stay here any longer. And a little while later, someone knocked on my door. Rosalie.

“Where’s Emma?” She asked.

“In the guest room.” I replied, deadpan. At her name, all emotion was wiped as my mind swirled around last night and this morning.

“Is she ok?” she prodded.

“No.” I said honestly. Talking to Rosalie was making me feel worse. I hoped Rosalie would check on Emma and make her feel better. Even though I was just dying to burst into her bathroom and just…do something. Apologize a million times, beg for a second chance, or just try and make her feel better.

But I couldn’t do anything.