Unspoken (Watty Awards 2011) Chapter Twenty Eight: Let Me Make it up...

September 30                                                                                                            It’s twenty minutes before the service, and less than fifty people are waiting in the church. Each person connected to his life in some way. Lawrence is sitting in the middle-ish area, scanning the crowd. I feel his eyes lock on me, and a surge of excitement rushes over me like a tsunami wave. No one from the Royal Family is here. Err- other than Lawrence. Good, I tell myself, none of them should be here.

My jaw drops at the person who walks through the church doors. No, my mind begged, please not her. But it was. Lee was here. Chewing gum, in a slutty outfit, and texting. Anger fills my body as I stand and walk to her.

“Oh hey, Emma.”

I glare at her feet.

Lawrence suddenly appears by my side, stepping in between the two of us.

“What are you doing here, Lee?” his voice is cold and has no emotion. Other than disgust.

“I’m mourning the loser’s death.” She responds, flipping her hair. HE HAS A FREAKING NAME!!! I want to shout. But, I remain silent. As always.

“His name is Grant. Lee, why are you really here.” he demands.

“I’m supporting my loser friends. I mean friends.” Lee wraps her arm around my shoulder and I shrug it off. I can feel the intensity of Lawrence’s glare, even though I’m not looking at his face.

“Get out of here. Now.” He says through his teeth. Lee pouts and stays standing, pissing him off even more. “Now. “he repeats. This time, Lee sees he means it.

She turns around and struts down the aisle. Lawrence turns to me, frowning. “I’m so sorry. About everything.” He runs a hand through his shaggy brown hair. “Lee is such a bitch. Sometimes I wonder why I date her. I mean, she’s so mean to you. Especially at her party. That was just disgusting.” I shrug y shoulders. You get used to it. I wanna tell him.

“I know what you’re going to say.” Lawrence grins. “You get used to it. But you shouldn’t. and I’m not gonna stand for that anymore.” Yeah but what is he gonna do about it? Nothing.

“I know you think I’m just talk, but I’m not.” I don’t do anything to acknowledge hi, cause I just don’t buy it. “Let me make it up to you.” Shaking my head, I begin to leave. Lawrence grabs y shoulders and spins me around. But I don’t flinch or back away. I can’t. Gently, he puts his fingers under my chin and lifts my face up so that I’ looking into his ocean-like blue eyes. “Please.” He pleads. Finally, I nod my head. He smiled and didn’t move his hands.

“I get to choose the day though. In fact, when are you coming back to school?” I hold up five fingers.

“Ok. Five days. Sounds good. After school in the art room.” The ushers begin to ask us to go to our seats, so we parted.

And all throughout the service, I smiled.

That is until Mrs. Whiter went up on the altar to read the eulogy.

My eulogy.