Unspoken (Watty Awards 2011) Chapter Forty Two: The Show Must Go On

October 20                                                                                       

Lee POV

Once all the Emma drama was finished, the competition continued. As they say on Broadway, the show must go on. And it did. A few numbers passed, and finally it was my turn.

I shined (like always) during my performance, showing different face expressions, hitting everything spot on, and well, just being my perfect self.

The group number was ok. I was in the front line, like always. Some girl from the back line took Emma’s position, which I think is what screwed us over.

Damn that sucky dancer.

But as much as it pissed me off to admit it, the group needed Emma. Now of course I didn’t –hell, I’m as good as Emma-but the others (the ones that couldn’t dance) benefited from Emma’s skill. She carried their weight.

About thirty or so minutes later, everything was done. We all sat on the stage, waiting anxiously for the results a man dressed in a black suit walked on stage, microphone in his hand. Everyone became silent once seeing him.

A couple of kids from our school got gold, only a few got platinum. (Let me explain: platinum is like getting 1st, gold is like getting 2nd, etc.) Finally, they get to the best part, the only result I care about. Me.

“For Lee Silvers, platinum!” I run the announcer man to collect my trophy. Hell yes! Another platinum! Oh yeah, and our group number got a platinum, too.

Almost all the results have been announced; there’s one left. The announcer guy picks up the microphone.

“Even though she isn’t here,” he begins. Damn it. I know what he’s gonna say.

“The judges did decide what to give Emma Walters. And she got….”

Please God no…

“A PLATNIUM!!!!!!” everyone in our group stood and cheered, including me just so I wouldn’t look weird. But only two words were running through my mind at that point.

Ah hell.