1

Chapter One

Lola's POV

As we were paraded through the sea of people I kept my head down, not wanting to see the hungry faces that lusted after us- imagining all the things they could do. We had practised the entrance enough times; we were lined up in order of beauty and how much we could be sold for. Somehow I had managed to end up near the top of the line, the evil glares from other girls made me almost glad that my time in the training facility was almost up. I could have gotten my throat slit by some jealous girl.

Climbing up the steps to my podium I took deep and controlled breaths, telling myself that it would be alright. Unlike most of the girls that were dotted around the room, I didn't want to be a Hottix; the idea brought bile up from my stomach. As I neared the top of the steps I reminded myself what I had to do, I couldn't mess this up. As much as I hated to admit it- I had to be sold.

The lights dimmed as we were all positioned, ready for our unfair fate to dawn upon us. Loud music blared through the speakers, almost deafening me, symbolising the 'show' was about to start. Sweat dripped down my forehead and I wiped it away quickly, hoping no one saw.

"Think of your family," I whispered to myself and slowly I let myself relax. I was doing this for one thing and one thing only. My family at home awaiting the massive check that would come once I was sold, they would get half of the money. No they're not evil, they didn't push me into that life. I was chosen, it just so happened that the money I could get would be enough to pay back all their debt and help them move away from the rough area they lived in.

"Ladies and Gentleman, today we are delighted to announce the twenty sixth Hottix Auction and I know we say this every year- but we really have the best group of girls we've ever had!" A chuckle erupted around the room and I forced a smile in case anyone was focusing on me, "Now I'll explain the rules although I know you all know them!"

I rolled my eyes at his cheesy lines that the announcer had been practising all week, I had heard them at least twenty times.

"We'll announce our forty, yes that's right forty, girls individually and then we'll give you some time to browse before the auction. Sound good?" The audience shouted 'yes' back and all of a sudden I began to sweat more rapidly.

The announcer's voice bounced off the walls of the room and wolf whistles and crude remarks were thrown at the girls who just smiled and posed (like we had been told to). The closer it got to me, the more I shook and trembled until finally I was put out of my misery. The spotlight hit me almost blinding me but I regained my composure and gave the audience a bright smile and a wave.

"This beauty is Lola Evans, aged 16," a few men shouted something rude my way and I giggled, covering up my real emotions of disgust at the vermin, "She is described to be a cheeky, adventurous but an obedient girl!"

The audience clapped me and then they moved onto the next girl which was a relief to me as it meant I could wipe the plastic expression off my face and finally frown. A stage help guided me down the stairs and I was led to a spot where I would stand and have to talk to potential buyers. They said we weren't treated like property and tried to make us believe that we were in fact given a great opportunity being sold off to be nothing more than a pretty object in someone's house- I could see right through their act.

When the lights finally came back on, I rubbed my eyes quickly before the surge of people came at us, my stomach began to churn. I was really going to be sold off into a life of hardship and suffering. Men in black suits walked around, there shoes clacking on the shiny floor as they inspected us all in great detail. A few came up to talk to me but I gave monosyllabic words which meant they immediately veered off to the more 'flirty' girls; despite my inclination to get sold, I wasn't just going to be sold off to anyone. The buyers may have thought they were choosing who they were buying but the reality was we were the ones choosing, we could choose to flirt with those who we liked and block out the ones we didn't.

The crowd spread out across the large arena like space, touching and staring at what was on offer; there were a few times where I was almost sick watching their animal, brutish behaviour.

"Hello, Lola wasn't it?" The sound of a female voice took me by surprise and I looked in front of me to see an older woman, around her late thirties, looking at me intently.

"Yes that is my name," I answered formally, still confused. Sure there were other women at the event but they all were accompanied by their greedy husbands who wanted an extra toy to play with.

She saw the confusion in my eyes, and laughed to herself loudly drawing attention to the two of us.

"I know what you must think, some weird old lady at an auction on her own. No, I am not buying for myself but for my son. He's 16 and its his birthday soon so I thought- what better present than a Hottix?" I laughed along with her although I thought it was a terrible present, "I might see you later." She finished with her cryptic statement and left me alone again with the hungry hounds that were old men in suits who wanted nothing more than a doll they could mess around with.

I sighed internally, it would be a long day.

So this is the first chapter- yayyy!! The events have just begun in this tale :)

Who is this lady?

Who is her son?

What's happened in Lola's family meaning they have this debt?

Vote if you enjoyed this please give me feedback (good or bad- I don't bite:))