30

Chapter Thirty

One day later

Harry's POV

After waiting a whole day in the nearby village for my car to be towed out of the field and refueled, we were back on the road again except this time we knew where were heading. Oxford. Home of opportunities, or at least that's what it was in my eyes.

"So who's this friend we're staying with?" Lola asked, looking out of the window as we drove through the seemingly infinite countryside.

"His name is Zayn," I scratched the back of neck slightly out of discomfort, "He was a very good friend of mine, until a few months ago. I've called him to ask if we can stay and he seemed quite delighted about the whole thing... But I'm still quite apprehensive."

"What happened between you and him?" Lola turned to face me with confusion clear in her eyes.

"We just fell out over some stupid disagreement," I waved my hand around to make it seem like it was nothing but deep down my stomach churned as I thought back to the time. Zayn had slept with my sister, treated her like she was worthless and then had the audacity to say he was just having some 'fun'. Of course I was fuming, smoke almost billowed out my ears and the boy ran away. Never to be seen again.

***

I pulled up the driveway where Zayn was already standing, waiting for us to enter his home. The building was beautiful; it was an old farm house in a village just outside the city itself, this place didn't seem like the place where Zayn would choose to live. The village was quiet, with a population of elderly grannies who did nothing but play bingo- it certainly wasn't a place I imagined the party boy to live.

"Alright mate? Haven't seen you in a while," Zayn said slowly, his sentence trailing off at the end when he saw Lola get out of the car. I noticed the look he gave her, I saw the way his eyes traveled down her body. Draping my arm over Lola's shoulders, I tried to give him the message to back off.

"Yeah its been a bit," I replied curtly, "How come you're living in a place like this?"

"I've changed, man, I've changed. I like the quiet life, no more clubbing days for me!" I could see that Zayn was just as uncomfortable as I was, in fact the only person who seemed to be oblivious to the tension in the air was Lola. But that was understandable seeing as she knew none of the back story.

***

We had escaped the awkward household, deciding to go into the city centre to experience the wonders which I had described to Lola. Walking into the Covered Market, we were hit with the smell of fish and Lola crinkled up her nose which caused me to laugh loudly, the sound echoing in the area. Walking down the small paths, we stumbled across a small shop called 'Ben's Cookies' which was displaying their cookies in the window, fresh out of the oven.

"Can we get one?" Lola asked, sounding like a child on Christmas. I pretended to think about it for a long time, but deep down I was restraining myself from going over and stealing all the cookies at once.

After buying the (rather expensive may I add) cookies we took large bites, enjoying every delicious mouthful that hit our palette. There was something so magical about walking outside the Covered Market and into the bright sunshine ,which bounced off the pastel coloured buildings, whilst holding a heavenly snack in one hand and holding the hand of an Angel in the other.

"This is so perfect," I whispered to her, trying to avoid pedestrians as we walked which was nearly impossible. The pavements were packed with busy workmen, tourists who didn't know where to go and gaggles of teenage girls who all seemed so absorbed in their own conversations that they couldn't notice all the people they were bumping into.

Soon we were walking along Magdalen bridge, famous for those who jumped off it on May Day, and the crowds had dispersed slightly. Suddenly, large greenhouses appeared, poking out behind the trees as if beckoning us to join them.

"Botanic Gardens?" Lola asked with a raised eyebrow, staring at the sign with bewilderment.

"Let's go in," I said excitedly before dragging her forward to the ticket office.

***

Entering one of the beautiful greenhouses, we marveled at the plants that they held but soon the humidity became too much and we both left with flushed cheeks and slightly sweaty hair.

"Let's just stroll around and talk, I feel like we haven't had that chance to do that," I mumbled quietly, not wanting to disturb the quiet serenity that the gardens held despite the fact they were in the centre of a busy city.

"Do you want children?" Lola blurted out and I was slightly taken aback by her direct question, usually the girl was so reserved and quiet.

"Yes, in the future. A boy and a girl, but I suppose you can't exactly choose. I'll be happy with whatever God gives me," I replied back, looking around at the trees which were beginning to grow back their leaves which had been blown off by the harsh winter gales.

"I would like the same," there was an air of confidence in her voice, one that I hadn't really heard before from her. I liked this new Lola, she made me forget about our previous master- slave dynamic.

"Let me ask you a question now- did you truly love Brooklyn?" I knew from the moment I asked it, the mood would drop and reminders of the past would haunt our daydream like state. But I needed to know.

"I loved him as a friend, that much I am certain. There was never that chemistry that everyone is searching for in life," she kicked a stick forward as she spoke, directing her eyes to the ground. It was a bittersweet moment for me, I was glad that Lola had never felt romantic feelings for Brooklyn but I was sad that I had ruined our perfect day. I could tell that she was becoming more reclusive by the second and all I could do was whistle to break the tension in the air.

"Why did you marry Bella?" I almost choked on air when she spoke and I had to take a few seconds to recover from the initial shock.

"We worked well together. Both rich, both had large social groups and a wide variety of connections. She was attractive and I thought it would be beneficial to both parties if we joined forces. At best we were friends, at worst we were almost like enemies," as I spoke, I realised how superficial my old life had been; how I valued money over happiness, and looks over what was inside a person. Somehow, Lola changed that about me.

Awh cute, this honeymoon phase doesn't last long just saying. Ha ha I know what happens next and you don't :P also quick mention of Zayn #awks

Feedback please and vote if you enjoying this :)

:3