38

Chapter Thirty- Eight

Two months later

Lola's POV

"Is my tie straight?" Louis asked me quietly as we sat on some chairs by the reception desk and I nodded at him, feeling too sick to even speak. Today was the day. We would plea our case and hopefully get the result we wanted which was to free Harry. Our lawyer was talking on the phone by the door, wearing the same, stern look he always seemed to have on his face.

"The court awaits you, please follow me," a lady wearing a smart suit said loudly and I snapped my head up, probably looking like a deer in headlights. Louis tugged me up and slowly we walked behind the lady, our lawyer had come off the phone and I heard him mumbling to himself. He had told us upfront that we could win the case if neither of us spoke and let him do the talking; I was happy oblige, I didn't want to be the one that meant we failed our task.

The courtroom was large and extravagant, with carvings on the ceiling and on the various pillars that held the roof up. I looked at the audience who had come to watch and I noticed both Bella and Brooklyn sitting in the front row, looking on with excited eyes almost as if they were about to watch a performance of some kind.

I took my seat beside Louis and watched as the judge spoke with his advisors, I couldn't make out what they were saying but it looked like a mundane conversation- nothing to do with Harry. I suppose to them, it was just another day at work, they didn't care if the outcome of their decision affected anyone.

Suddenly, some doors on the side of the room opened and two prison guards walked forward followed by a man whose head was facing the floor. The beautiful curls that I loved so much had been shaved off and he seemed so small in his baggy clothes. He didn't look like my Harry, they had made him look like a criminal. They had distorted his angelic image. I balled my hands into fists as I saw them push him forward, smirking as they tormented him.

Finally, Harry was sat down and the opposition to us took their seats, one man glaring at me menacingly. I gulped slightly and directed my gaze forward; Harry still hadn't looked up from the floor- did he not want to see me?

Before I could question his strange behaviour any longer, the judge cleared his throat and all eyes were averted to him.

"Today we are here to reevaluate the accusations given to Mr Styles. Opposition to Mr Styles state your reasons for keeping him in prison," I looked over at the people that stood in the way of my reunion with my love and I gritted my teeth; all my muscles were tense from anticipation.

"It is a simple case, Mr Styles broke the law. He did not return the Hottix to the government before the deadline and then professed to take said Hottix out of the country to avoid this law," the man speaking had greasy, black hair that stuck to his forehead in a grotesque way. I wanted to punch him, I wanted to beat the smug smirk off his face but I regained my composure and watched as our lawyer stood up.

"And then onto Mr Styles' defense, state your reasons for releasing Mr Styles," finally Harry looked up and I met his emerald eyes- they were in pain. He smiled at me faintly and I returned it, tears brimming in my eyes. I was so absorbed in Harry that I barely heard out lawyer begin to speak.

"Your honour, Mr Styles broke no law here. He was never officially Lola's master, there is no written document that ties the pair together in that sense. In fact the only registered master of Lola Evans is Bella Styles, the wife of Mr Styles," I watched as the opposition stared at us with open mouths, they obviously hadn't done their research.

"If I may, Your Honour," after months apart from him, I heard Harry speak and the sound was sweeter than any birdsong,"Bella is no longer my wife, maybe on paper but we have split." The judge brushed off Harry's comment, deeming it as unnecessary, but I knew that Harry didn't say it to help his case- it was to make Bella angry. I turned around and sure enough, Bella was glaring at Harry with a look that could kill.

"Well, even if that is the case, Mr Styles should be charged with abduction of a minor. Lola is not 18 yet, therefore she is not an adult," the greasy haired man spoke again, his nasally voice echoing round the space. I wasn't scared of him, I knew that we had the upper hand. We knew our facts.

"Mr Styles was Lola's legal husband however, so surely he cannot be charged with abduction?" I watched as the man in opposition struggled to find any words, I too had felt the same shock when I found out; Louis told me that Harry had forged my signature on the document and that he did it to protect me. Harry was smart, he knew that if we were husband and wife (at least on paper) we were much safer. Of course I hated the fact that he had gone behind my back but I understood that his motives weren't to hurt me.

Finally it was the judge who spoke.

"Well why did Mr Styles not mention that in his first court case?" There was an exasperated tone to the man's voice, the type of tone that only occurs when you have been working in the same job for too long. The judge looked bored, probably tired of petty cases like ours.

"Mr Styles believed that-" the opposition cut our lawyer off and I felt a shift in the atmosphere of the room.

"Why doesn't Mr Styles speak for himself?" All eyes became fixed on Harry and I watched him as he gulped, visibly sweating. I prayed that he wouldn't mess up Louis and I's weeks of extensive searching, trying to find anything that would help Harry get out.

"I didn't see it necessary because I was being charged with possession of a Hottix, what difference would it have made if I was declared her legal husband?" He sounded tired, as though the past few months had zapped any energy he had.

"Mr Styles is correct, this information would be useless in his first trial," the judge spoke in a much slower, more thoughtful voice, "however now this new accusation of abduction has occurred, this information becomes vital."

I held my breath and squeezed Louis' hand tightly, waiting to see what the judge would say. He sounded like he was about to make his decision, it sounded like Harry's fate would be announced.

"I need some time to decide what to do with Mr Styles, you may all depart for a two hour interval," and with that, the ancient judge got down from his throne and was followed out the room by his advisors. Before I could even run towards Harry, he was taken away by the prison guards.

"Come on Lola, let's get some food. I feel like this will be the longest two hours of our lives," Louis mumbled in my ear and I nodded gently, knowing that the next couple of hours would be an agonising wait before I would finally hear what was to happen to my angel. What would happen to my Harry.

What will the judge decide? Will Harry be free or will he go straight back to his cell? You will find out shortly... I would also like to say that there are only TWO chapters left of MMHM. ONLY TWO! But I think we all know how much can change in those two chapters...

We also found out that Harry went behind Lola's back and made them legally husband and wife- yay? He did it to protect her, maybe he saw this coming?

Anyway, the character Q&A is coming along nicely but I would really appreciate some more questions! Silent readers, I know you're there, please ask a question! Non-silent (?) readers, ask a question! The people you can question are:

Harry

Lola

Bella

Brooklyn

Louis

Niall

Hayley

Liam

Lola's mother

Lola's father

Zayn

Other characters

Oh and I forgot one person last time- me! You can ask me anything if you want :)