Chapter 3

Adelaide stood in front of her mirror, smoothing out her dress. It was a white dress with cap sleeves that had beads on them. She wore white heels under them.

She looked up as she heard Adeline come in. "Adeline." She greeted the older woman warmly and went over to help her get in the room.

The older woman held out a velvet box to the Hybrid. Adelaide looked at her. "I remember..." She coughed, "I remember you giving it to me when I was younger, around 21, was it not?" Adelaide smiled at the memory. It was a very special day, it was Adeline's engagement party, at that time they past off as best friends. Over the course of their lives they had past off as different things.

"Yes, you were."

"It was an amazing marriage. I'm sorry that I didn't have children but I loved my husband none the less. As I was saying though, I remember you giving it to me, I want to give it to you now, momma."

She smiled softly at the adression. Momma. Adelaide had found Adeline on the streets one day in the late thirties, she was just a little three year old girl, abandond by her real mother. Adelaide couldn't leave her there, so she took her and adopted her. Everything used to be easier back then.

Momma, Adeline missed it from time to time. She missed taking care of her as she used to, now every time she took care of her, she was afraid it might be the last time she did that.

Adelaide opened the box and saw the jewelry set she gave to Adeline years ago.

It was a nice teardrop earring/necklace set. It had diamonds and it was just perfect. Just as she had given it to her.

"Oh, Adeline." Adelaide pulled her in for a hug. "I'll always love you, baby girl."

She smiled at those words before taking the necklace in her hands. "May I?"

"Please." Adelaide said before turning around and bending a bit so Adeline could reach her neck without having to climb anything, fall down and break something.

She put the necklace on as Adelaide was putting the earrings in. She smiled as her daughter/grandmother came around and looked at their reflections in the mirror. Adelaide touched the necklace with a soft smile. It was absolutely lovely.

"You look stunning. Elijah will be very honoured to have you at his side tonight." Adeline assured Adelaide, patting the Hybrid's hand. "I won't wait up for you."

"Why wouldn't you? I will return as soon as possible." Adelaide insisted.

"No," the older woman shook her head. "no, I want to be alone tonight."

"Okay."

...

Adelaide stood in front of the mansion with wide eyes.

"Holy..." She breathed out.

A man soon rushed to her side. "Milady." She heard a British voice say.

She turned around and smiled at Elijah, "Well, I'd say 'My Lord,' but I have no idea if you actually were a lord." Elijah raised a brow, as if he was asking her if she was real, "You know what? I think I know the answer. Anyway, you look very handsome tonight." She had seen him in a suit before as it was the only think that he ever wore but he even looked better. If that was even possible.

"And you... I'll have to fight men tonight, won't I?"

Adelaide giggled. "No, you won't... You won't, right?"

Elijah chuckled. "No, I won't. But, you did promise me something, remember? You are mine for the whole night."

"How could I forget?" Adelaide smiled at Elijah, looking forward to the evening. She never really liked formal events but she couldn't wait to be with Elijah. "Just so you know, though, I will dance with Matt or so. I am sure Rebekah or your mother would love to dance with you as well."