Chapter 13

Adelaide came back in time to see Rebekah shooting up from the couch with a refreshed look and her mouth open in wonder. Damon was standing near a bookcase with a letter opener and Stefan sat in front of Rebekah. 

"How do you feel?" Stefan asked. 

Adelaide had no idea what was going on but she just went with it, and sat down next to Stefan, in front of Rebekah, searching her face. 

"I- I feel good." She said with a smile. "I feel great- I feel alive." 

"Slight problem with being alive-I can kill you know." Damon said before he threw the letter opener to Rebekah, who caught it easily. Both she and Stefan looked in wonder at the gash which healed instantly. 

"I'm still a vampire. The cure didn't work." Rebekah breathed out. 

"You took the cure?" Adelaide accused. 

"It worked just like she wanted it to. The cure was a fake. It must've been a concentrated shot of vervain or something."

"Katherine." Damon said with slight admiration. 

In the alleyway, Elijah was still not over the shock of Adelaide being there, in the town that he had just gotten to. 

"Oh, come on. She could use a nap. It must be exhausting trying to be me." Katherine said when she saw Elijah looking at Elena still laying there. 

"You killed Jeremy Gilbert." Elijah accused. 

"Yes, Elijah, I killed Jeremy Gilbert, a bombshell I'm sure she just couldn't wait to drop on you. Ironic, since she supposedly doesn't care about anything." She confessed. 

"Well, I care. Do you honestly feel nothing for this girl, a girl fated to live the same life that you've endured? And now you've just taken away the last of her family, just as yours was taken away from you." Elijah compares the two Döppelgangers. 

"Uh, why are you looking at me like I enjoyed it?" When Elijah started to walk away, she went after him.  "Jeremy was collateral damage. I was doing what I needed to do to survive."

"Is that what I am to you? A means of survival?" Elijah asked. He thought maybe the two were right, maybe there was no hope for her after all. The peasant girl Elijah fell in love with, ages ago, did indeed die- most likely when Katerina hung herself in that cottage from Rose. 

"Don't let sweet little Elena get to you. She hates me. She wants you to turn against me and convince you that I can't be trusted."

"I asked you a question." Elijah pointed out. 

" No. Of course you're not a means of survival. You looked out for me when I had no one. You're giving me a second chance now when no one else will. I love you. Elijah. You don't believe me." 

"I want to. It's my disease. I just keep wanting to believe you, but how can I when at every turn, you give me a reason to doubt you? I don't know you. I don't know that I ever will." You don't love her, not really. Not like you love Adelaide. You care for Katerina but you don't love her.  A voice inside Elijah's head said. 

Katherine ran after Elijah when he started to walk away again. She stopped him by placing a hand on his arm. "Wait. You gave me your word that you would talk to Klaus. I--I can't make a deal without you."

"Good-bye, Katherine." He said after a short stop. 

In the afternoon, he goes back to the gazebo where he should have met with Katherine but met with Elena instead. He saw Adelaide sitting there and was going to turn the other way when he saw, she was crying.