Chapter 30

Adelaide arrived at the plantation not too long after Niklaus, in fact Niklaus had only closed the door when she walked up the driveway. She shook her head at his politeness and opened the door. What she did find curious, however, is how neither Elijah nor Hayley were with him. 

She walked into the living room and saw Rebekah there. She immediately smiled and flew her across the neck. "Beks!" 

"I thought you were leaving us." Niklaus said. 

"We both know this family can barely function without me. Where are Elijah and Hayley?" Rebekah asked. 

"I left them in the Bayou." Niklaus said as if it was nothing. 

"Why?" Rebekah asked, the same moment Adelaide excleimed: "What?" 

"Elijah and I had a bit of a row." He laughed bitterly. "Hayley's conspired to turn him against me. You know our brother was never one to resist a pretty face! So, one thing led to another, and I bit him, left them both stranded in the swamp."

Adelaide couldn't believe it. "What?" 

"Daggering, biting, deserting. Does your wickedness ever end?" Rebekah asked. 

"My "wickedness" is self-preservation! And I wouldn't have to go to such lengths were I not presented on all sides with ignorance and treachery! Now that Elijah's abandoned me, I'll be needing you in my plot against Marcel." Niklaus walked to the alcohol and poured himself a drink. " Don't expect to be leaving town anytime soon." 

"Why should I help you, after what you did to Elijah?" 

"You're my family. Besides, who better to spy on Marcel than the girl he so clearly loves?" He sat on the coffee table in front of Rebekah, who sat on the couch. "You can tell me all his secrets. Like, how did he find us here? Huh, any idea about that, little sister?"

"How should she know why Marcel does what he does?" Adelaide demanded. 

"You think I don't know about your engineered run-ins all over the Quarter? I know you've had private chats with him! Just tell me what secrets he's confided to you. Is he plotting against me?" Niklaus said, ignoring Adelaide. Was she not there for him? 

"My poor brother, so paranoid. Marcel knows nothing! He's not plotting against you, he simply thinks you're in a quarrel in need of making up." Rebekah said, getting in his face. 

"Perhaps we will. After all--" He pointed and leaned in aggressively toward Rebekah. "-- you know I'm capable of forgiving those who disappoint me. As soon as they've seen the error of their ways... and suffered for them. You'd do well to remember that."

"You never let me forget." Rebekah muttered under her breath when Niklaus walked away. 

The next day, the three were having breakfast when Niklaus spoke to Rebekah. "Have you spoken to our good friend Marcel today?" 

"No, should I have?" Rebekah asked, playing dumb. 

"He's been mysteriously silent-- avoiding me, some might say. I thought perhaps he may have whispered reasons into your ear. Along with all of those sweet nothings." 

"If I see him, I'll be sure to ask if he's still sore at you." 

"Let me give a voice to that look in your eyes." He started mocking her. "'My saintly noble brother lies writhing in agony in the Bayou, victim of my bastard brother's bite, when just one or two drops of his blood would ease his pain.'"

"On the contrary, Nik, I am simply enjoying my breaky, waiting for Elijah's healthy return." Rebekah said, ignoring the fact that Niklaus just made fun of her.