Chapter 19

Elijah found Marcel on his phone in a bar down the quarter. "You find him, and then you call me. Don't worry. I know how to deal with Klaus." 

"Is that so? Please elaborate." Elijah made his presence known. 

 "Elijah Mikaelson." All of Marcel's vampires, seated around him, started to rise but he stopped them. "No. I got it. It's all good." 

Elijah took a seat in front of Marcel. "It's time we have a little chat." 

They talked about Niklaus before Elijah returned to the cemetery. 

He heard the witches talking and the elder witch saying that his brother didn't care about his child. But Elijah did. 

The witches were testing him, so he tested them... he even went as far as to threaten them. 

He left then to go talk to his brother, which turned into a fight. After that, Elijah found Niklaus on a bench in the french quarter. 

"The bond of family blesses us with an immeasurable power. But we also must accept what comes with it. It gives us a responsibility to love without condition, without apology. We can never waver from the power of that bond, even if it's tested. The bond nourishes us, gives us strength. Without that power, we are nothing." Elijah said. 

"This town was my home once, and in my absence, Marcel has gotten everything that I ever wanted. Power, loyalty, family. I made him in my image, and he has bettered me. I want what he has. I want it back." Klaus stopped for a brief moment before continuing his speech. "I wanna be king."

"So is that all this child means to you? A grab for power?" Elijah asked Niklaus.

"What does it mean to you?" Klaus asked. 

"I think this child could offer you the one thing that you've never believed you had." Elijah truthfully asked. 

"And what's that?" Niklaus asked. 

"The unconditional love of family." 

They looked at each other before Niklaus spoke to Elijah, ordering him to tell Sophie Deveraux that they had a deal. 

The next day, Hayley and Elijah are talking in a room full of stuff covered in white, dusted sheets. 

Hayley pulled one of a crib and coughed at the dust that came off. "Are you alright?" Elijah asked. 

"Just dust. This place is ancient." Hayley shrugged it off. 

"Yes, it should serve our purposes. It's a sanctuary from our business in the Quarter. Right now, you are the most important person in this family. You need a good home." Elijah said before he thought of something. Something that Adelaide would be first to ask. "So I'm curious... in all this time, has anyone asked you how you feel?" 

"About having a miracle baby with a psychotic one-night-stand?" Hayley sarcastically asked. 

"About being a mother." Elijah responded. 

"I – I was abandoned when I was born and my adoptive parents kicked me out the second that I turned into a wolf. So... I don't really know how I feel about being a mother because I... I never really had a good one." Hayley explained. 

"I will always protect you. You have my word on that." Elijah promised. 

Niklaus appeared, letting his presence be known. "And noble Elijah always keeps his word."

"Is it done?" Elijah asked instead of responding to the remark his brother made. 

"As a matter of fact, yes. Your underhanded deal worked quite well. Marcel was only too happy to accept my blood even as he accepted my heartfelt apologies. His man, Thierry, yet lives and I remain a welcome guest in the French Quarter. My only concern now is this coven of impudent witches." Niklaus said.

"I believe them to be honorable. They did release Hayley to me. Although, they haven't been entirely forthcoming. Marcel obviously has something that they need. They don't want him dead. There must be a reason why." 

After that, the two brothers went downstairs. 

"Have you talked to Adelaide yet, brother?" Niklaus asked. 

"Over the phone, yes, why?" Elijah said. 

"No reason, just wondering. She just didn't sound that well, when I called her earlier." 

Elijah frowned at that. She sounded perfectly well when he talked to her the day before. He even visited Rebekah after that, Katherine had been there but it was Adelaide that he really said goosbye to. And what a goodbye it was... 

Elijah told him he'd call her later before he changed subject again. " In addition to the secret weapon he uses to control the witches, Marcel has assembled a small army of vampires. Working together, we can destroy them from the inside." 

"And what of Rebekah? Has she stopped her pouting long enough to join the fun?" 

"She has made her disinterest quite clear." 

"One too many times daggered and shoved in a box, I gather? Or perhaps she doesn't share your unwavering belief that I can be saved." Niklaus taunted his brother. 

"Rebekah may surprise us yet. After all, we all swore the same vow." 

"I hope she stays far away. Because in my desire to reclaim this town, to steal from Marcel that which he holds most dear, I have realized one massive vulnerability. One weakness that Marcel could exploit." Niklaus explained. 

"And what is that?" Elijah asked. 

"You." Niklaus responded. 

He daggered his brother, which made Elijah groan and colapse. 

"Forgive me, my brother. There is no power in love. Mercy makes you weak. Family makes you weak. If I am going to win this war, I have to do it alone." Niklaus said in his ear. 

...

Meanwhile, in Mystic Falls, Adelaide was staring in shock and horror at something in her bathroom. 

No, no! It couldn't be! It was impossible! Adelaide thought. How? How did that happen? 

Suddenly, she felt a stab on her chest and she immediately knew something was wrong with Elijah, the man she needed most at the moment. 

She got tears in her eyes, from joy, and smiled. 

It... It was impossible, yet it happened. She couldn't think of something better to happen to her. 

She smiled and forgot about the pain she had felt in her chest. This was amazing! 

This was the best thing that ever happened to her!