Apartment Hunt Part 2

Sunday morning came and after swapping a few texts with Sam whishing her well on her vacation. I decided to go out and make some sort of adventure from my day off taking the one thing that I valued more than my own life my old film camera I went to shoot New York on a lazy March Sunday I had always loved photography capturing a single moment that would never be repeated and the city was definitely the place for finding interesting people to capture. After a few pictures of the usual pigeons, homeless drunks and stray dogs I made my way home to get ready for work the next day.

I usually tried to get home before dark, the neighbourhood got a little creepy after that it seemed every week something was being set on fire right outside the building, Sam told me I needed to find a super-rich man to "keep me Sweet and safe" as she had put it but apart from the occasional one night stand I hadn't had much of a romantic life in the big apple it suited me though. It's not that I was afraid of commitment it just wasn't me.

As I unlocked the door I could hear Mrs Redding upstairs screaming at her cat again and down below the greasy spotted weed smoking teens where practicing their bands music again. The noise had just become everyday background noise that I had to block out. Don't get me wrong I loved it here I just wish I didn't have to live in a place where I had to keep my largest kitchen knife under my pillow.

Maybe it was time to look for a better place to live.

Monday morning arrived a lot more too quickly than I would of liked I pulled myself from my bed pulled my cosy clothes on there was no point in dressing up much it was only Monday and cycled the couple of streets to the shop. The newspapers had already been delivered when I arrived and after the morning rush of sleepy business men looking for a caffeine boost had past I flicked through one to the advertisement section. I circled a few but none really jumped out at me I was about to give up when I noticed the tiniest advert on the page was for an apartment.

"Roommate/house sitter wanted

Away on business a lot, low rent, clean apartment

Nice area, No Junkies!

Call James on *********"

It almost seemed to be too good to be true but I couldn't not take the chance that it might be my opportunity to get out of the gutter I had been living in. I quickly dialled the number before I could change my mind I tried not to pace around the store as I waited for someone to answer the phone. At last somebody responded.

"Hi is that James"

"Err yeah how can I help?"

"Well my name is Maggie I had seen your ad and was wondering if the room was still available?"

"Okay Maggie just hold on a second and ill pencil you in for an interview"

"Interview?"

"Well you do understand I just can't agree to let anybody live at my home while I'm away"

I thought about this for a second then realised he was probably right I arranged to meet him the next morning, I would just have to get Sam's brother Jason to open up and cover the morning rush.

This is it Maggie I thought as I put down the phone this could be your golden ticket. I worked all through the afternoon with a smile on my face , I even had a few Irish tourists who were on "holidays" as we called it was so nice to hear a familiar accent again after so long"

Just before closing time I was getting ready to serve my last customer who ordered a vanilla cappuccino, a plain latte with sugar, a black coffee and a Mango smoothie to go. The familiar order of the vanilla and plain led my mind back to yesterday's two customers who's laughs where still in the back of my mind. The customer who ordered looked around those guys age not as tall as the bearded guy had been but still quite a big guy he was well groomed with black thick glasses surrounding his emerald green eyes he little awkward and shy but polite all the same while ordering. I think they all stood out so much because they didn't look like the type of people I would usually serve they were always business men with not even enough time for a hello or a thank you these new faces where so laid back and always smiling and courteous .

As I made up the order I could feel his eyes watching me behind his glasses and believe me they were very fine eyes in deed oh Maggie I thought to myself this guy's way too old for you, it didn't mean I couldn't admire though. I'd always appreciated peoples beauty because I never found myself beautiful so when I seen other people I felt they had a right to know that girl on the subway who was crazy curvy but still wore whatever she wanted or that guy with too many spots but still had the most awesome hair I had seen on a guy since my brother. People all over whether they knew it or not are beautiful things despite all the flaws they think they have.

Anyway this guy was adorable so shy and soft spoken gentle I felt some sort of connection with this guy something about him just seemed like he really needed a hug. I just hoped his personality was the as nice as his looks there was nothing worse than a beautiful person with an ugly personality. By the time I had talked myself into making small talk with him he had his phone to his ear "Go for Vulcano, oh Hi ma. Yes I'm still coming for dinner, yeah I'll pick Jenna up from work, No I won't forget the ice cream" he spoke softly with a thick New York accent when his order was finished and ready to go he flashed me a beaming smile and left with his drinks, soon to be forgotten in the back of my mind working here I made about 30, 5 minute friendships every day and the occasional romance but nothing ever came of it seemed that was the life I was destined to live falling in love with these random strangers was just something I became used to but I liked it that way no man to hold me down I was a free spirit.

When I had gotten home from work that night I had my shower and had to choose clothes for this "interview" I had the next day when I first came here I had gone crazy buying clothes the sizes here where so much more versatile than back home more sizes and styles it was great I still had only two styles though elegant business woman in respectable dresses or just out of bed, crack whore and I think for the interview I was to go for the better option.

I settled into bed in my freezing cold room and put a film on my laptop but I could barelykeep my eyes open past the monkeys and monolith scene. I snuggled down with myold ragged teddy bluebell and drifted into dreams hopeful for what the next daymight offer me.