Alone Part 29

The sun was setting quickly over the bay. My family sat around the glowing fire pit as it crackled sending fluttering ashes into the sky. We had arrived to an overflowing banquet of food courtesy of my sister and Eamon. The fresh lobster caught that morning and bought in the fishing village a few towns away was just to die for. We sat on chairs and lay around the grass resting off the food babies in our stomachs , the night air was mild and the beers were cold it was a good night.

I looked at Brian as he sat by Liam sipping his beer it was kind of scary how alike they did look Liam had a short stubble that lined his jaw Blue eyes, and was obviously younger but he had the same cheeky grin and ruffled hair as Q the resemblance was uncanny. It was funny because when we were kids I would have Liam tortured to play princess and prince or mermaid and rescuer on the beach he always grumbled but played anyway reluctant to admit he loved it just as much as I did.

Liam was also my first kiss at the ripe young age of 13 Liam was 15 during a summer barbecue just like this one we were exploring the supposedly haunted stables around the back of the house

"Sparrow I don't like this" he hissed as he tiptoed through the dusty dark room being the bold adventure crazed psycho child I was I was already miles ahead climbing up the rickety steps to the balcony above "Oh would ye give over Liam, It's an adventure!" I shouted to him.

We lay on the huge heap of hay sharing a bag of marshmallows and a bottle of coke we had sneaked from the kitchen while Willow was making the potato salad "I know something you don't" he smugly smiled popping 4 marshmallows into his mouth and showing me a fluffy pink smile

"What is it?" I sat up snatching the bag off him

"Well if I told you then it wouldn't be a secret" he laughed putting his hands behind his head

"You're probably bluffing anyway McAllister, you're so full of shite"

"I am not!" Liam whined pouting at me he leaned closer even though there was nobody around to hear him "I seen your sister, and my Eamon snogging"

"Eww no way!" my mouth dropped Liam nodded "I swear I seen them last week after the fair"

"That's gross" I gave a disgusted look "Have you ever kissed anyone Liam?" I looked over at my lifelong friend it had never occurred to me we were all growing up relationships and feelings would soon become a thing. I barely had gotten used to the monster mess of blood I had to deal with every month. Liam ran his hands through his hair "Aye, the wee girls in my class are throwin themselves at me, canny keep them away"

"Are they really?" I gasped in awe of his coolness Liam blushed and shook his head "Nahh it's not" I dug my elbow into his side laughing "Knew ye were full of shite"

"Have you ever kissed anyone Sparrow?" he asked I wrinkled my nose at this ridiculous question "No way" Liam went quiet "well... would you like to?" he fidgeted with his hands a bead of sweat dripped from his forehead, I thought about it it wouldn't hurt to try it just once. I gave a shrug as Liam leaned closer to me pouting his lips I did the same our foreheads bumped as our lips touched I closed my eyes it was a strange feeling he tasted sweet though like the marshmallows we just ate. We sat rigid for a small time none of us quite knowing when was the right time to pull away after we did separate we lay back on the hay like nothing had happened.

"I'm never doing that again" I commented wiping my mouth

"We'll ye will have to sometime, when you kiss your husband" Liam laughed draining the last of the bottle of coke

"Not gonna have one" I shook my head

"Why not?"

I shrugged "Never gonna fall in love"