Home truths Part 20

I woke up confused and scared I could hear the waves crashing and the birds singing I almost called for my mam then realised I wasn't 10 I was 23 but I was home again, The movement to my right told me somebody was in my room they didn't speak as they sat on the bed the heavy movement of the bed told me it was probably Sal. Part of me already knew what he had come to tell me but I needed to hear him say the words.

"I'm sorry Maggie, She didn't make it through the night." I still didn't turn around to face him I moved over in the bed and allowed him to lie down we both lay on our backs holding hands we didn't speak just lay. I couldn't cry I was just about breathing I felt numb and although Sal was right beside me I felt alone.

After a while I turned to Sal it was the only words that would actually come out "I miss Brian" he nodded and broke a little smile "So do I"

I got up from the bed "I'd better go find the twins."

Sal nodded "I'm gonna take a shower how do you even survive with only two bathrooms here"

I giggled at the disgusted germaphobe "we just make do" I shrugged

I approached the kitchen where my sister stood just staring out of the window at the waves she too was still in last night's clothes her hair was a mess and her eyes were red from crying I didn't think she knew I was there until she spoke "She was only holding on for you, Dr pierce said she should of gone a week ago but I kept promising her she would see you again"

"I wish I had of known Fal."

She turned to face me "Well maybe if you had of answered my calls or maybe if you were actually here to see for yourself at least she wasn't in pain when you seen her I've had to endure months of hospital appointments and caring for her and listening to her cry at night when she thought she wouldn't get to see her baby bird before she died"

I felt so much guilt although Willow had forgiven me it would take a while for Fallon to believe I had to get away.

She spoke bitterly to me "your friend the skinny American said he didn't even know you had family, you kept it all from them, were you that ashamed of who you are?"

"His name is James and no I wasn't ashamed I was more ashamed in myself for lying to them I need structure Fallon I needed to live the way she taught us about life by living it going out into the world myself and experiencing it first-hand"

"And what about me Sparrow? I've lived in Sheephaven my whole damn life and I feel like I lived it just fine I have a man who loves me what do you have? Do you really think your big shot American friends will be around to be your rock forever? Any of these so called friends that you have didn't even know your real name until yesterday you were just this character you made up the whole damn time."

The words stung more than any slap to the face ever could. I could of ran away I could of lashed out but I thought of the promise I'd made to mammy "I'm going to make things better Fallon I mean it" I pulled her in for a cuddle I needed her to believe I meant it. I'm not letting go until you hug me back"

She gave a slight laugh and wrapped her arms around me "I've missed you Sparrow" she squeezed me tighter

"Aw would you look at that, Group hug everybody!" Apollo declared as he walked through the back door the three of us stood embracing the three remaining Thornes.

We started setting the table for lunch, there was thick fresh cut bread and plates of ham and chicken and beautiful cherry red tomatoes picked straight from the vegetable garden. Everything looked fresh and delicious if there was one think you couldn't fault Ireland for it was the food. I yelled upstairs for Sal and Murr to come join us my siblings took their seats at the table out of respect we left mothers chair at the head of the table free Sal entered the kitchen looking around "Hey has anyone seen Murr?" it only occurred to me then that I hadn't seen Murr all morning .