Interview Part 3

My alarm woke me early to the reasonably sunny new day any glimpse of sunshine here was an upgrade from Ireland and its maximum 3 days of warm weather a year. I done my hair nice and slipped on my cleanest black A line dress with heels, smart but not going out to party style was the target I think I was going for.

I checked and double checked the address I was given just to make sure when I arrived outside I was speechless it was huge and beautiful there where trees in the lobby and a smiling doorman outside the neighbourhood was clean and covered in flowers. I got a nervous not in my stomach as I realised how out of my depth I felt being here.

I remember thinking this guy must make big money to live somewhere like this he did say he was away on business a lot what if he thought I was too common? I got into the elevator and smoothed down my dress still playing with the polished peridot crystal around my neck it was a gift for my 10th birthday 12 years later I hadn't removed it once.

I took a deep breath and raised my hand to knock on the door. Part of me wanted to run but my feet where stuck fast to the floor you can do this Maggie you are awesome! I repeated this over and over so much in my head I needed to believe it.

There was still no answer from the apartment which led to my anxiety worsening that stupid voice in my head telling me It was all a bad idea and after 7 minutes of waiting I was starting to think it was right I stepped back towards the elevator and pressed the button just as the doors opened a skinny well-dressed man rushed out knocking me over in the process "I..I'm so sorry I didn't see you there well... obviously ha-ha oh gosh let me help you up"

I took his hand as I got to my feet "Its fine" I reassured him "I can guarantee I'm just as clumsy" his face changed as soon as he heard the accent

"Oh you must be Maggie I'm James? We spoke on the phone yesterday?" suddenly I felt bad for trying to leave and doubting he existed.

He fumbled around for his keys to unlock the door "I can't apologise enough for being late I was visiting my mother in hospital and it's so difficult to hail a cab around this time"

"Don't worry about it" I smiled "I've come to see how useful owning a bike is in the city"

He opened the door at long last and invited me in I gazed around me in awe at the crisp white carpet lining the floor, matching furniture and absolutely huge flat screen on the wall. This guy had to be making big money "take a seat " James called from the kitchen area adorned in beautiful mahogany counter tops and chrome fixings. "Can I get you an ice tea?"

"No thanks I'm sweet" he raised an eyebrow at me "it means I'm good" I explained another think I'd learned when coming here ice tea is not real tea like I was used to at home.

He returned and took a seat opposite me "So Maggie let's get started can you tell me your last name your age and occupation and a little about yourself if you don't mind"

"Well" I started "My names Maggie Thorne I'm 22, obviously you can tell I'm from Ireland I've been here around 18 months and I work in a coffee shop although I have my diploma in both media and travel. My hobbies include being the ultimate film nerd and water sports but I don't get to do much of it anymore I don't own a TV and never have the resources to get to the beach you know.. Sorry am I talking to fast?"

"No no" he laughed "I think I'm keeping up just fine"

"phew okay good" I giggled "well I live in a really bad area at the minute and I think for my own safety and sanity I need to find somewhere a little bit less life endangering so.. Here I am"

"Well you seem perfectly fine to me I don't see any reason I shouldn't consider you" he began to explain "My roommate has just moved out to get married so I have a spare room and I've also just started going away on business a lot so I've got worried about leaving this place alone"

"I can hear ya on that one, back home you could sleep sound with your door unlocked but in here it's locked even when I'm at home"

James smiled at this he had a nice smile seemed like a nice enough guy too "would you like to see the rest of the house?" he offered

"sure lead the way" I followed him around the house as he explained how everything worked I studied his face and how he talked so excitedly about everything

"Well you've seen the kitchen and the sitting room" I nodded as he lead me down a short corridor that had 3 doors I learned one was the bathroom that had a beautiful shower and Jacuzzi type bath

"this is my room" James told me as he opened one of the other doors and allowed me to walk in first I stood in shock as soon as I walked, unable to do or say anything the whole room was littered in pornographic magazines and there was also a very agitated cat roaming the room that looked pretty pissed it had been left in the room I tried to ignore the alarming amount of paraphernalia littering the room I managed to utter a few words to James who was stood behind me "I...I didn't know you owned a cat?"

"What!?" he roared confused "I don't own a... OH MY GOD!" he was obviously just as shocked as I was "Maggie I am so sorry these are not mine" he tried to usher me out of the room as fast as possible and closed the door.

I held my hands up "hey each to their own you know" I honestly had no idea whether to believe him or not but before the incident he seemed like an honest enough guy so why shouldn't I.

We took a seat back in the living room again I gazed around the room not quite knowing what to say. Poor James was bright red and showed no signs of calming down.

"So uh these friends do they prank you often?" I asked, he relaxed a little when he see I was seeing the funny side to it

"yeah we kind of all do it to each other I guess it's been a running thing since high school and now on the show"

"The show?" now I was interested.

James looked at me as if I had 3 heads "you don't watch a lot of TV do you?" I shook my head now it was his turn to laugh "wow well yeah um long story but me and my buddies have a show on the air it's become a pretty big deal and its great fun too"

"well looks like I've been talking to a celebrity all day and not even known it" I joked James shook his head

"oh please don't think of me as that I'm just James Murray normal guy" his smile made me feel reassured

"well James Murray normal guy if you're still willing to give me the room can I bring around some of my stuff tonight?" his face lit up

"Oh my gosh you mean it? Of course!" After chatting for another half our about the show and his tour dates We hugged out our goodbye I left the building practically dancing down the street I had a new home and a new friend and life tasted sweet!

^۝<�ZU