Don't hit your fiancé Part 21

I smoothed my hair back tying it into a plait I was so nervous about having to face everyone in the village I knew they would all be there they all knew Willow and would want to come say goodbye what would they say about me though that I'd abandoned my family and run off?

Eamon had already come to pick up Fallon earlier to go let the undertakers bring the body she barely spoke I don't blame her for being afraid it was a tough thing to have to do. Eamon welcomed me with a hug he was a lot taller now than he used to be he was the double of his brother but stronger his hair had started to grey slightly at the sides but he was still as kind as he ever was and it was clear by the way he held my sister how much he cared for her.

I wrapped my shawl around my shoulders and made my way downstairs Apollo was standing at the bottom fiddling with his tie "This stupid fucking thing" he shouted I undid the knot he had got it in and tightened it nice and straight

"It's going to be okay." I soothed him I only half believed the words myself. Sal gave a cough as he interrupted the moment to tell us we should be going before my sister blew a fuse, I think he was quite afraid of Fallon and I didn't blame him.

We walked down the lane towards the village along the sea wall that lead the way the sun was just setting over Muckish mountain and the clouds were a stunning pink colour. I could hear the water flowing Apollo didn't speak a word just taking deep breaths as he walked behind me Sal was completely amazed he scanned every inch of the sky dusking sky.

The Gallery was memorizing there were no lights switched on only candles of every shape, size and colour surrounding the room making a lovely glow along with enough flowers to make a florists the smell was beautiful overwhelming but beautiful. I got a few strange looks as I walked in with Apollo I'm sure people probably thought I was his girlfriend until they looked a little harder and seen it was me "the lost daughter".

I approached the coffin where Fallon stood. My mother was dressed in a beautiful yellow dress and held a few lilies in her hand her fingers each dressed with a different ring and a simple string around her neck with a several pieces of sea glass threaded onto it. She looked so beautiful but felt so cold the only thing that felt like her was her hair I stroked it softly it probably still smelled like lavender too.

After greeting several faces I recognized I went to find Sal who I found stuck between two elderly ladies who were having a gossip about the price of Milk. I thought I had better save him "Excuse me Mrs Brennan, Mrs MacMurphy may I borrow Sal for a little word please"

Mrs Brennan looked at me and her face lit up "Oh Sparrow dear I didn't see you there Welcome home" I smiled kindly at the old lady before Mrs MacMurphy joined in "That isn't Sparrow Thorne she's too ladylike I remember a wee scrapper of a wild child never wearing shoes and hair as matted as a wolf" I blushed hard as Sals mouth dropped at the woman's bold words "It's Me Mrs MacMurphy all grown up"

"Well it's lovely to see you back chicken, this is a lovely young man you've got yourself here, are you two engaged?" Mrs Brennan smiled at me as Sal started to laugh trying to disguise it as a cough "Oh gosh No Mrs Brennan Sal is a very good friend of mine" I blushed hard at the misunderstanding scratching the back of my head. Sal looked ready to explode trying to hold in his laughter he got to his feet and followed me to a quiet corner "Those women could have been trying to sell me their grandchildren and I would have just smiled and nodded"

"I thought you went to find Murr" I hissed at him "I haven't seen him all day"

"Maybe he was kidnapped by leprechauns" Sal shrugged cracking up

"That's offensive you bitch" I slapped him hard on the arm

"Meanie, you can't hit your fiancé!" he pouted at me before starting to fake cry into my shoulder a couple passed by us stared at Sals loud sobs "very emotional" I mouthed to them as I caressed his hair they nodded sympathetically and walked on before Sals sobs turned into uncontrollable laughter "knock it off dude, Fallon will kill you" even though I was laughing too, we eventually settled ourselves.

Apollo was strumming soft music on his guitar as Sal and I toured the rooms looking at all the art work the same photo of my younger self in my room hung on the wall there were also ones of the twins playing in the sand and beautiful images of the beach and the mountains Apollo and the pups running through the fields I felt so much pride as my eyes wandered over the pictures.

I settled on a huge canvas it was by Willows cove It must have been taken with a tripod because Willow was in it too she sat on a rock with a protective hand on her visibly pregnant stomach looking out to sea, An 8 year old Apollo sat with a caterpillar on his finger giggling wildly at it, in the corner was my father lying on his back with his feet in the air and Fallon resting on them arms out wide like she was a bird. I couldn't hold back the tears anymore the only family photo I would ever own, why couldn't I of had this perfect family growing up they all looked so happy Daddy died not long after it was taken and Willows spiral into depression began but all those years she held on to this photo as I reminder of how perfect life was once.

Sal hugged me tight but the tears just wouldn't stop "I think I want to go home now Sal I've had a long day" He nodded and put his jacket around me before going to tell my sister I was leaving.

We walked back up the dark lane as I wiped my tears on Sals Jacket sleeve Sal had his hand clasping mine running his thumb softly forward and back "How about we go in make a huge bowl of snacks and get cosy and watch a film?" he asked as we turned down the driveway to the house "Mmm sounds great" I agreed "but we should find Murr first I'm getting worried about him he's just vanished."

Sal nodded and looked towards the house "Hey there's a light on maybe he's home."

Sal opened the front door and lead me in to the house my eyes adjusted to the light I heard Liam's familiar laugh from the kitchen "Aw that's funny man that is classic!"

"James Murray where the hell have you been all day" I screamed towards the kitchen a figure emerged from the kitchen walking past me towards the stairs as I threw my heels off "Hey Irish, how've ya been?"

"I'm doing okay thanks Joe" I smiled marching towards the kitchen ready to give James hell for abandoning me then I stopped "Wait Joe?!" He started to laugh and pointed towards the kitchen I ran down the hallway stopping in when I realised it wasn't Murr sitting at the table.

"Heyy pretty lady" two arms surrounded me and pulled me into the familiar smell and warm embrace of Brian Quinn.