A new dress and an accident Part 24

After breakfast I climbed the stairs to get a shower while all the guys where changing. Fallon requested black trousers and a loosely buttoned shirt but no tie. We agreed much to the relief of Apollo on nothing too formal.

I wrapped my hair in a towel and walked back to my room. Outside of the window I watched the guys all sitting and laughing together Joe and Murr were pointing to the family of dolphins in the distance leaping out of the water gracefully. Sal sat with Apollo as my brother pointed to each of his tattoos explaining the meaning behind each one and Q had discovered the two giant fluffy beasts that had him pinned to the ground having his face licked.

"They seem like nice guys" Fallon smiled as she entered my room She was dressed in a beautiful long lilac skirt and white blouse with a fresh sprig of lavender clipped into the brim of her white sunhat her Lennon glasses resting on her nose. She had a ring on every finger and her birthstone crystal around her neck, every inch the flower child Mama was. She stood with me at the window "I can see why you love New York so much."

"Yeah it's pretty great, you should come visit sometime"

"Oh Sparrow you know I'd never fit in there, It's too big for me"

"I thought that at first after a while it starts to seem smaller though"

"I'll miss you when you go away" her voice was quieter as she gazed out the window watching Apollo lay on the grass watching the clouds float by. "We both will"

"I'll visit more Fallon I promise" I squeezed her shoulder reassuring her "what are you gonna do without mom around?"

"I guess I'll move back with Eamon again we've been talking about starting a family" she smiled as she thought of her fiancé "Apollo mentioned going travelling for a while in his van"

"What about the house?"

"Well I was hopping Apollo would want it but he made it clear he has no interest in it so maybe we'll just sell it along with the Gallery." She affectionately placed her hand on the wall she had so many memories here it was the only home she'd ever known it would kill her to sell it but my sister finally had time to live her life I was so happy for her.

We lay on the bed like we used to do as kids chatting about the future I confessed to her about the Job and the issue of telling Sal "I'm sure he'll be fine with it, If Brian can accept it and let you go I'm sure he can."

"Thanks Fal" I said hugging my sister tight before shooing her out of the room we'd spent the best part of an hour chatting and I needed to get ready.

I stared at my suitcase not knowing what to wear. All the black and grey just wasn't appealing right now it's definitely not what Mammy would have wanted me to wear. I opened my wardrobe that still had most of my old clothes they all looked so tiny I had put on so much weight when I moved due to the lack of swimming.

I made my way to Mammy's old room Fallon was lying on her bed holding a pillow it looked like she had been crying. She wiped her eyes and placed her sunglasses back on.

I opened Mammy's wardrobe and flicked through the rainbow of coloured cloth that filled every inch of the cupboard. They all smelled of incense and sand. I took a few dresses out throwing them over my arm "Can I have these?" I turned to Fallon she nodded and gave a sniff as she wiped her nose. We always used to joke that she looked like Rudolph when she cried because the tip of her nose turned red.

I took the dresses back to my room trying each one on before settling on a beautiful ankle length dress it was so simple no major details except mixes of blue and sea green the sleeves were wide and came to my lower arm, the dress flowed and danced when I walked. I closed my eyes and took a breath it felt so comfortable so.. Right!