Mr and Mrs Gatto Part 12

We stood before the doors of the service room not quite knowing what to do my feet felt stuck to the floor. I knew by the way Sal was holding my hand that Brian had arrived already and was just through the doors he gave me a supportive squeeze and placed his hand on my back as he guided me into the room I took a deep breath and looked around the room I seen Murr and Lynda talking to a guy in a groomsman tux Joes brother in law I think Sal told me. The room was decorated in hot pink and purple with diamonds everywhere I gasped in amazement at the sea of flower petals that lined the floor it was absolutely stunning.

I spotted Brian he had his back to me but I knew it was him nobody had hair that fluffy when just washed. I also seen her, Alyssa black hair straight with a pale pink dress on that looked more like a t-shirt seriously why so much leg? I needed to stop thinking so negative today wasn't about me or Brian or any of the shit going on I would wear my biggest smile and enjoy this day for both Joe and Bessy. I had seen Joe when we first entered the room for someone who was afraid of nothing I had never seen a guy look so nervous.

Sal took a seat beside Brian and I sat on the opposite side of him beside Lynda wise move, he hadn't even looked over and seen I was there I fiddled with the material on my dress my stomach would not settle. Sal grabbed my hand to stop me tearing the material as he stoked it softly with his thumb I felt so safe when I was with him he was probably the only thing helping me through this day.

The string quartet started up and Bessy entered the room with her father on her arm she was an absolute vision her dress flowed in layers and her thin waist was framed with a simple silver band Joe was smiling like a Cheshire cat the whole way through the ceremony when it came to saying the vows I thought I would have to lend Sal and Murr some of my tissues I didn't blame them though it was very emotional.

The service ended and everyone gathered for champagne in the lounge it was time to actually face Brian. fake smile time Maggie I told myself I stepped towards him smiling brightly "Heyy buddy" I grinned he blinked a few times before realising it was me "oh gosh Maggie Hi" he kissed both of my cheeks his beard scratched against my face the way it did when we kissed I wanted time to freeze but of course he pulled away the skinny girl behind him gave a cough "oh right Sorry Alyssa this is Maggie."

Alyssa pulled me in for a hug I could feel her ribs press against me, "Hi Maggie oh my gosh I've heard like so much about you, aren't you from Ireland oh my gosh what's that like" I was at a loss for words luckily Q stepped in "c'mon honey let's get you another drink" I watched as he sickingly put his arm around her as they walked away.

"You're doing great" Sal smiled.

The speeches came before dinner and Joe had me in tears he was just naturally so funny and the way he talked about Bessy was just the epitome of what true love was about, I couldn't help glaring at how Alyssa hung over Quinn with her high pitched laugh I swore if I heard "you're like so funny Brian" one more time I would snap thankfully I had Lynda by my side to chat too.

"well I am shocked Murr" Q announced as he slapped James hard on the back "you actually managed to find yourself a Girl and keep her for a whole month" everyone laughed at the truthful comment Lynda smiled and Murr asked he gazed at her quite lovingly.

"Well I think it's obvious they both really like each other it's just so adorable" I squeaked

"Don't be getting Soppy on us Maggie or you'll be up the aisle next" Joe teased throwing his arm around me as he stood behind my chair.

"Don't you worry about that Joseph I don't plan on getting married for a long time if ever." I reassured him

"Heyy there's Mr married I thought we wouldn't get to see you" Sal cheered we all wished him and Bessy a huge congratulants with a group hug I also finally got to give them my wedding present it was a printed Canvas of a picture I had taken when we all had a meal at the apartment for Murrs birthday they were looking out the large window watching the sunset with their arms around each other and Bessys head resting on Joes shoulder I was so happy with how it had turned out. The happy couple loved it and gave me a huge squeeze before they had to rush off for their first dance.

It was absolutely stunning I could almost tell how they felt just by watching them like nobody else was in the room just these two beautiful people who had just vowed to spend their life together , everyone started to join in Sal was dragged away by one of Joes sisters for a dance. I stood on the side-lines sipping my drink until I was pulled to me feet my Lynda "slow dance with me darling" she giggled over the music I loved this woman she was so fun, we bounced around the dance floor together breathless from giggling so hard. The song ended and I felt a hand on my shoulder I knew it was Q the minute he touched me it felt like electricity had shot through my veins "Excuse me Lynda but may I borrow this lovely lady for a dance"

I turned to face him as he slid his hand around my waist I felt like I couldn't breathe was this really happening I looked up at him trying to read his face "I thought we should have at least one dance together don't you?" his voice was deep and ran down my spine we started to whirl around the dance floor.

Come away with me in the night

I felt like a princess but probably looked like an awkward goose

Come away with me and I will write you a song.

He was looking down at me I was completely lost in those brown eyes

I want to wake up with the rain falling on a tin roof

He held me tighter to him I wanted to kiss him right there and then.

While I'm safe there in your arms so all I ask is for you

There was no Alyssa no stupid Andy this is how it always should have been.

To come away with me in the night, come away with me.

The song had ended but we still stayed gazing at each other Brian cleared his throat then walked away toward Alyssa who wanted to dance. I was standing alone everything I had felt for him came flooding back in those short minutes I turned round to see Sal standing beside me I didn't have to say anything clearly he had seen what just happened the way I watched Joe and Bessy earlier.

I went to the bar to order another drink passing Q on my way Alyssa had her arms draped over him he whispered in her ear and they left the room my stomach felt sick as I pictured them going back to their room I chugged my drink and immediately ordered another Sal approached me and took my hand leading me to the floor he started to spin me around it wasn't even dancing anymore it was just crazy drunken movement and giggles until we both collapsed to the floor. "I think it might be time for bed Miss Maggie" Sal said between laughs pulling me up we said our goodnights to everyone and made or more staggered our way towards our rooms.

"Joe was right you do dance like a monkey" I joked as I held onto him for support "I am absolutely offended" came his reply.

We stopped outside my room "Goodnight Irish." Sal whispered as he kissed the tip of my nose he walked back down the hall to the elevator as I watched him leave I felt happy like really happy he was my best friend even in my drunken state I felt a pang of guilt as I remembered how secretive I had been about life before New York maybe it was time to tell him.

"Sal?" he turned around to face me I opened my mouth to speak but of course the voice of anxiety got to me Don't fucking do it Maggie he'll never talk to you you've lied to him every day since you've met why would he even want to talk to you after?

"Goodnight Sal" I smiled as I headed into my room. I sighed and sat down on my bed

A knock came to the door

"This had better be fucking good Sal!" I called as I walked to the door unlocking it I threw it open ready to give Vulcano a huge telling off..

It wasn't him.