Bad News Part 16

I could hear him running behind me I didn't want to turn around quite frankly I just wanted to disappear but he caught me, he grabbed my arm a little too hard and turned me around I looked into his sad brown eyes and my heart broke. His hair was a mess across his face and he was panting for air he looked how I felt. He had my shawl in his hands he wrapped it around me "What the fuck Maggie?! What was that?" I couldn't even answer him I just stared at him hoping this wasn't happening "Answer me!" he pleaded "I love you Maggie don't you love me anymore or even at all?"

I pulled him close to me "of course I love you I just can't move in with you I haven't even got a career yet I haven't lived I don't want to be stuck in a coffee shop all my life while you make the money, I don't want to be married and I definitely don't want kids."

Brian tried to take this all in his eyes suddenly widened "This is about Sal isn't it."

"Sal? What the fuck does Sal have to do with this?"

"You spent the night with him last night he knew I was going to ask you to move in and he turned you against it didn't he! It all makes sense now your lunch dates together and how you constantly have inside jokes going on its all a big joke behind my back isn't it?"

I saw red before I knew it. My hand lashed out striking him on the cheek I started at him furiously with tear filled eyes "How dare you Brian Quinn, Sal is my best friend and yours! How dare you accuse me of something as horrible and even worse accusing him you've known him 20 fucking years he has nothing to do with me not wanting to live with you! I just fucking can't okay?!"

His voice was nothing but a whisper as his cheek burned red "I'm so sorry Maggie" he didn't even look me in the eye as he said it. I hailed a cab and turned to him running my fingers through his hair I kissed him on the forehead and got in without even looking back at him.

I got back to the apartment throwing my bag and shoes down Murr, Sal and Joe where sat around the TV all three looked up when I walked in

"Heyy Irish, come to pack your bags?" Joe smiled I burst straight into tears for the second time on front of him and ran to my room slamming the door my chest was tight I could barely breathe I was sobbing so hard how could Brian of said those things I loved him more than I'd ever loved another person I just didn't want him now, the timing couldn't of been worse.

A knock came to my door I knew who It was before he even spoke "Go away Sal" I screamed between cries "No" he simply said walking on in he sat on the bed pulling me into a hug I cried into his shirt as he shushed me softly and rubbed my back "I fucked up Sal I really fucked up"

"Just give it a few days Maggie you guys are meant to be I know it"

"But I can't live with him"

"He'll understand in a few days I promise" we stayed like that for a while until I had calmed down Sal pulled himself away rubbing the hair from my eyes he pulled the blanket around me and left the room I drifted off to sleep.

A few hours later I woke the house was quiet the clock read just after three thirty all was peaceful I sat up and pulled the letter from the drawer this was it I read it over and over Brian was gone I could take the job I could get away I wouldn't have to face him anymore I wasn't even thinking straight but it seemed like a great idea I paced the room for what seemed like an hour working out what I should do. I had just about enough saved up in my savings box to make it for a few weeks I reached under the bed for my laptop, shit I had left it in the sitting room when I had been sorting laundry earlier and listening to Queen.

I opened the door softly the creeped out to the hallway I froze when I heard a voice it sounded like Murr talking in his sleep again but it was coming from the sitting room he was on the phone barely awake but he sounded annoyed "Hello....who? No sorry wrong number .... Yes I'm sure... there is No Sparrow here lady I'm sorry!" My whole body tensed up and bolted towards Murr snatching the phone off him I raised it too my ear