Apollo Part 18

We drove through the village first past the cottages and little shops there were a few children playing by the caravan park as we turned on up the hill. The house came into view there it stood the house my mother and father saved from ruins they restored it and she lived in it and raised her children in it. The road disappeared the closer we got it was just a stoney gravel path now I could hear the stones moving under the tyres I could smell the sea air and hear the waves crashing . The sounds of home filled my ears like a song I hadn't heard in a very long time.

We pulled into the driveway and walked on the path to the house a huge stone building with flowers of every type size and colour growing in the gardens the unused stables and barns around the back still stood the people might of changed but the house stayed the same. Liam dropped us off and had to leave to take care of things around his estate, I stood outside not wanting to go in even though I lived here for 18years I would feel like a stranger if I had walked in the door without knocking. I squeezed Sals hand for support taking deep breaths

A noise from around the back of the house alerted me as two huge brown messes of fur came pounding towards me sending Sal and Murr running for cover behind the Volkswagen camper parked on front of the house "Hello babies!" I yelled out as the two huge Newfoundland's knocked me to the ground

"Loki, Bartleby get off me" I screamed and giggled as they licked my face the two dogs let me up as they circled me sniffing at my hands and feet Sal peaked his head out from behind the Van "you named your dog's Loki and Bartleby?" he questioned

"My brother did why?" clearly he knew something I didn't Sal just laughed "Q would love that" he seen the expression on my face change "you haven't heard from him yet?" he asked softly I shook my head I missed him so much it hurt and I hated myself that the last contact I had with him was an argument.

The front door of the house opened and a tall smiling man emerged he was dressed in jeans and an army jacket covered in peace symbols and anti-war patches his rolled up sleeves revealed the vast colourful tattoos on his arm his wrists adored in beaded jewellery like the dreads that hung down his back and the cheeky smile that could only come from my own brother, he ran to me picking me right off my feet and spinning me around I was crushed against his swinging dreads they smelled like the sea and sand the smell of home.

"Sparrow, our little bird has flown home" he smiled setting me down "you look so grown up"

"And you haven't changed a bit Apollo" I replied still holding his hand he stopped smiling as he looked behind me "Those two guys behind you look familiar?" he whispered I turned around as beckoned for Sal to come over and meet my brother "Sal, Murr this is my Brother Apollo , Apollo Sal and Murr"

Apollo took a few steps back his eyes widened "No way! You're Sal Vulcano holy crap you're the tenderloins?!"

"Well half of them" Murr quipped shaking my brothers hand "Nice to meet you"

"Wait!" Apollo stared at me concerned "I'm not on camera am I? Cause that's not Zen!"

"Relax Apollo Murrs my roommate and Sal insisted on coming along" I explained to my brother, Apollo seemed even more amazed "oh my god you're friends with these guys, well any friend of my sisters is more than welcome in our home grab your bags and I'll take you to the spare rooms"

We stepped inside the house I could smell the turf burning on the fire the familiar cackle of the flames and the warmth of the room Apollo lead us upstairs to our rooms and then left us to get settled.

I walked into my room at stopped in the doorway, nothing had changed in 5 years Willow hadn't moved a thing it was dusted and cleaned but everything was as it was when I left. Teddy bears still on my bed photos around the room of the child I once was. The canvas I had gotten for my 18th I was heartbroken I couldn't take it with me when I moved, pictured in it was me about 9 years old running through the shallow water on the beach I was barefoot in a flowing dress and smiling my head thrown back and my long hair free flowing behind me.

It was definitely a happier time although Willow and I hadn't always seen eye to eye there was no denying she gave me my thirst for photography she was rarely seen without a camera in her hand It was always a film camera too sometimes a polaroid she never had time for anything digital the only reason we even had a TV was because the twins saved up every penny of their first communion money to buy it and when mines came along I bought a camera I would follow her around for hours copying everything she done it was never anything good I didn't have a clue about focusing or framing but it made me feel close to her, Willow was herself when she was taking photos, capturing moments she called it.

I didn't bother unpacking my bag Sals bedroom was next door to mine I checked on Murr first but he was only half conscious and jet lagged Sal however was unpacking everything and making sure it was folded neatly "what do you think?" I asked sitting down on his bed as he bustled around the room "Dark...crazy dark I can't even see out that window, I can hear water though"

"yeah street lamps were never really a thing here you can notice a few in the distance that's the village down the road and the water is the beach down the lane you will see it in the morning as the sun rises, the sand glows in the morning light and the seagulls and various other birds sing their morning song"

"Sounds beautiful" Sal replied sitting down beside me "I can't see why you left though this is probably the most beautiful place I've ever been."

"Beauty always hides a secret Sal"

"Like you were hiding one from us?"

I gave a sigh "you just wouldn't understand"

"Maybe not" he said taking my hand "but I think maybe it's time you went to see her?" I stood up from the bed knowing he was right I hugged him goodnight "Be strong little bird" he whispered to me kissing my nose like he always did when I needed comfort. I closed my eyes and smiled at my new given nickname before leaving the room.

I approached my mother's bedroom door and knocked and waited Sals words replayed in my head Be Strong Maggie I told myself No I thought back to whatever subconscious I was talking to Be strong Sparrow.