Hospital Appointment Part 31

The sun was rising and we still lay awake my head on Brians bare chest his arm pulled tight around my shoulder like he wouldn't let go if his life depended on it he stroked my hair taking handfuls at a time and letting his fingers run through it I listened to his heart beating , beating for me.

In my head a fantasy played out we were a married couple lying in our bed in our own house our baby son or daughter sniffling softly in their cot by our bed. Q would be getting up for work soon I would leave the baby to the nanny's and we would set off to our own respective jobs that we loved, that night I would stumble wearily home to a freshly cooked dinner our older children would tell tales of school and history projects while we listened attentively after they went to bed and the baby was asleep we would cuddle up together in bed just like we had the night before. I could feel my stomach in my mouth as I thought of the family I would probably never have.

"What are you thinking of?" Q yawned sleepily kissing the top of my head. My finger dragged invisible circles along his chest "Nothing, what are you thinking of?"

"Snapple" Q shrugged

"Snapple?"

"Yeah I haven't had it in a while, you can't get it for love or money here" he began to laugh as did I. Only Q would think of his stomach as we lay together our legs entangled in the sheets.

After a few hours I woke alone my mini Benjamin cat tucked under my chin as I starfished in the bed. I rubbed the sleep from my eyes pulling on Qs jacket that I had now claimed as my own. I padded down the stairs across the cold tiles to the kitchen I gave a yawn as I entered alerting Murr who sat alone at the table reading the local newspaper "Morning Miss Maggie, where did you sneak off to last night?" he teased I switched on the kittle for coffee wiggling my eyebrows at Murr "Just found myself in bed with a beautiful dark haired lover"

A confused look came over James face "oh really, I don't remember being there at all" he laughed hard wiping at his eye I threw a dishcloth at him for his boldness slapping him on the head.

"Its crazy quiet where is everyone" I asked sitting down at the kitchen table

"Your sister was gone before I even got up, Q left about half an hour ago to walk the dogs with your brother, Sal is trying to find his shoe which one of the dogs seems to have misplaced and Joe is in our room on the phone to his eagerly waiting wife" he counted the people on his fingers giving a satisfied smile when he had everyone accounted for.

"It's crazy you'll be going home tomorrow Murr" I shook my head smiling we had been here nearly 5 days but It felt longer

"Yeah I know it will be nice to get home and see Lynda and my parents I didn't get a chance to see them before our spontaneous escape" he laughed his eyes squinting like they did when he was happy.

"I can't thank you enough for everything Murr"

"Pfft its nothing" he waved his hand always so humble

"it's not nothing though you took me in ,you looked after me and you brought me home again"

He gave a shrug "it was you who replied to the advert Maggie I was just grateful you weren't another Joe Gatto" we both laughed as I reached for the bottle of milk for my coffee Murrs eyes widened "Is that... Q'S RING?!" his jaw dropped as he seen the sparkling band of silver around my finger "Did he propose?! Does this mean you're staying in New York" I thought he would of jumped from the table his excitement alone couldn't be contained.