+ [Chapter 1] The Only Problem

-Genny's POV-

The past year of my life has been a blur. So much has happened in so little time. Let's see...well, first off, I dropped out of college. I was fired from my old job. I had a child. And I moved out of my apartment and into my loft.

Let's just say my life had been turned completely around all because of one really crazy night in July about a year ago.

*****

My friend, Ian Hecox, invited me to one of his Fourth of July parties he and his friend were having. I declined at first, saying I had a test next week that I needed to study for. But after a lot of convincing, I finally agreed to go to "the party of the year," as Ian liked to call it.

There, I met the most handsome man I'd ever seen. He was standing all alone against the wall with a red solo cup, most likely filled with alcohol, in his hand. He occasionally waved to people he knew, but other than that, he stood by himself and didn't really talk with anyone. Like me. I instantly fell in love with him. The only problem? I was super shy. Ian passed by and I asked him who the guy was. He grabbed me by the hand and dragged me over to this guy, exchanged out names, and left us alone to mingle. The conversation started slowly, but gradually became more natural and easy. It felt like we talked for hours as we drank cup after cup of alcohol and bottle after bottle of beer. The next I know, he and I were sneaking off to his bedroom, ripping off each other's clothes, and slipping into bed under the covers.

With my virginity lost and my period not coming, I took the test. I was pregnant. I practically had no one there for me. Both of my parents had died; my mom overdosed five months after I was born and my dad committed suicide when I was three. That left me to the custody of my Aunt Bailey, my mom's sister. She was no help at all during the nine months, with all of her drinking and gambling problems. So really all I had was my high school friend, Tiffany. She and I were almost like sisters. The only problem was she was a party girl, and she never was available at night till about three in the afternoon. And even when she was available, she would be sleeping off a bad hangover.

I dragged Tiffany to all of my appointments with the doctor and called her when I went into labor. I gave birth to a healthy, baby boy and named him Ashton because I vaguely remember Anthony and I talking about our futures that night nine months ago and how he wanted to name his child (if he ever had one) Ashton, just so he could call him Ash, like the Pokémon character.

After Ash was born, that's when things changed the most for me. I was forced to drop out of college. I had missed so many classes because of morning sickness, appointments, and shopping for baby stuff. And I couldn't afford to pay for the college's tuition and baby supplies. Lastly, I wouldn't have the time or the energy to raise a child and go to the classes and graduate.

In addition, I soon discovered that my small apartment was getting too crowded - with all the baby food, furniture, all of that stuff. Aunt Bailey had given me all of the things my parents used for me. I knew I had to move due to the lack of space, so I moved into a loft that cost a little more and was slightly bigger than my apartment. On the first and main floor was a small kitchen, living area, and dining space, all in an open floor pan. It also had floor to ceiling windows on the farthest wall of the living area that gave me an excellent view of downtown and wall to wall carpeting everywhere except the kitchen, which was tiled. On the second floor was a bedroom with walk-in closet and bathroom. It was the ideal place for Ash and me.

And to make matters worse, my company fired me due to "budget cuts." It killed me to hear they were laying me off because I had been working there for five years, since I graduated high school. So, after cursing the company out in my car, I went job searching again. I became a nurse's assistant at the local hospital over night. That meant I'd have to find a babysitter for Ash. Ian was my first choice; he was idealistic, but he was friends with Anthony and...things just wouldn't work out.

Why? Anthony didn't know about Ash. I didn't want him to either. I mean, I was sure he'd step up to the plate and all, but his life and my life are totally different. And anyways, he has a girlfriend, Kalel, and she doesn't know about what happened that night. Plus, Kalel and I are sworn enemies - have been since elementary school. But yet, we always seemed to bump into each other while we were out in town. She always gloated to me how wonderful her life was and always seemed to mention how shitty mine was. It was so difficult for me not to blurt out that I slept with her boyfriend and that he was the father of my child.

Anyways, back to the babysitting situation...Ian was out of the question. So then there was Tiff, but she was partying at night, the only time I needed someone to watch Ash. That left me with my Aunt Bailey. Luckily, Ash was usually fed, diaper changed, and asleep when I took him there, as was Aunt Bailey. So I usually just left him in his swing next to her with a note on her stomach. And when I picked him up, she would still be asleep on the couch and Ash would be squirming around in his swing.

Life dealing with all of that by myself had been easy, once I figured out what to do. I thought I had it under control, until Anthony visited me one day out of the blue.