+ [Chapter 5] Never Would've Shown Up

-Genny’s POV-

Tiffany and I were in my living room watching a movie on Redbox. Ash was in bed after hours of trying to calm him down from his crying, which he was peculiar. I don't know what was up with him tonight, or even lately, he’s usually such a calm kid, but lately he’s been crying and having fits. Sometimes I didn’t know what to do.

"So, how'd your lunch with Anthony and Ian go?" Tiff inquired before taking a sip of her wine.

"Not as good as I would've like..." I ran my finger on the ridge of my wine glass.

"Why? What happened? Did Anthony find out and totally ditch you?"

"What? No…" I retorted, "It's just...Anthony stormed off because Ian was saying he and I would make a cute couple."

"O.M.G! You guys would totally make a cute couple!" Tiffany agreed with Ian.

"I know. I think so too, but he yelled at Ian saying that he has all he would ever want. But even then, Ian kept teasing him, saying he likes me and then he stormed off. I feel like it's all of my fault."

"Don’t think that, Genny."

I set my wine glass down on the coffee table and sighed.

"Hey," She snapped her fingers in front of my face to get my attention. I glared over at her, "Maybe he's just having some mixed feelings about you right now. I mean, I heard about the anniversary. He talked to me about it."

"He talked to Ian too,” I noted.

"What did Ian tell you Anthony told him?"

"Same thing he told you. That he's having mixed feelings about me."

"Oh, good, so you know?"

"Yes, Tiff," I said almost sarcastically, "I just...wished he never would've shown up. I mean, this whole deal could've not happened if he just minded his own business..."

"But maybe this is what your destiny is, Genny! Maybe you’re supposed to be with him! Maybe he's bound to find out about Ash!"

"Uh, key word: maybe."

She rolled her eyes, "It sounds like you don't want his help."

"I don't! Our lives are perfectly fine as they are! I mean, he’s living the life! And I’m...I'm all over the place right now,” I admitted, my cheeks growing a bright red, “I just don’t want him to come in and try to fix everything. Because he won’t.”

“How do you know?”

“He just won’t, Tiff. Guys like him aren’t going to drop everything to take care of a child they just found out was theirs.”

“So you’re considering telling him?”

I shrugged my shoulders, “No. Yes. Oh, I don’t know,” I covered my face with my hands, “I just don’t know.”

“Well, I think you’re wrong in thinking that Anthony isn’t the kind of guy who would drop everything to take care of a child they just found out was theirs. And anyways, it wouldn’t be like he’d be forced into liking you. He already loves you.”

"He doesn't love me!" I shouted, "He loves Kalel, for crying out loud!"

Just then, there was a knock on my door. Tiffany and I both turned in that direction. The knock sounded again.

"Let me get it," Tiffany pushed me to the side and walked up to the door. She stepped to the side and in came Ian. I put my hands on my hips.

"Hey, Genny," Ian greeted.

"Hello, Ian,” I retorted, “What’s up?”

He gulped before answering, "We need to talk...about Anthony."

"Why?" I practically shouted. I was sick and tired to talking about Anthony. Anthony this. Anthony that. Isn’t there something else we can talk about other than Anthony!?! He stared at me, a look of hurt on his face. I frowned, realizing how rude I’d been, "I'm sorry, Ian. Let me ask more politely: Why? Is something wrong?" I said more softly.

"Yeah. He's at my house, curled up on the couch, still as a rock."

"Is he having a panic attack?” I immediately assumed.

He shrugged his shoulders before he sat down on one of the bar stools that was in front of the counter, "I don't know. All I know is that he came over and walked right past me when I opened the door. I turned around and saw him curled up in a ball on the couch. He won't talk to me, won't move. He won't do anything!"

"Oh god, we need to go. Like right now!" I grabbed my jacket off of the coat rack and looked back at Tiffany, "Will you watch Ash for me? Just make sure he's okay?"

"Fuck no!" She shouted, "I'm coming along."

I rolled my eyes and turned towards Ian, asking him, "Can we stop by someone's house first?"

"Why?"

"I need to drop Ash off at my Aunt's house."

"Why don't you just bring him? I'm sure he'll be fine."

I sighed and crossed my arms, "Fine. Whatever." I ran up the stairs, picked up Ash out of his crib, and ran out of the apartment, being followed by Ian and Tiffany. We got into my car and sped to Ian's house.

We rushed into the living room where Anthony was right where Ian described him – on the couch, curled up in a ball. I handed Ash to Ian. He held him and the two of them had a staring contest.

I rushed over to Anthony and bent down so I was eye level with him. "Anthony, you need to talk to me. Please," I was shaking his arm, snapping my finger in his face, all in an attempt to get him out of one of his panic attacks. That is if it was a panic attack. It could’ve been something worse.

"He won't talk to me or anyone," Ian remarked, handing Ash to Tiffany and joining me as we tried to get Anthony to show some sign he was okay.

"Call 911, Tiffany," I ordered, "I don't know what's going on, and I want him to be ok-"

"Genny...?" Anthony murmured as he put his hand on my cheek.

I smiled in relief as I wrapped my hand over his, "I’m just glad you’re okay."

He sat up and swung his legs over the side of the couch. Ian and I stood up. "Sorry guys, I just…”

"Dude, you scared the shit out of me!” Ian yelled at his best friend, “What happened?"

Anthony ran his fingers through his hair and exhaled. "I...I just couldn't take things anymore."

"What do you mean by that?" Tiffany questioned.

He took in a big breath before saying, "You guys should sit down, all of you. This might be a while.”