[Chapter 35] You're Invited

-Genny's POV-

This afternoon, I had a meeting with a preschool teacher about putting Ash in school soon. We walked into the classroom after being called in and he went crazy when he saw all of the toys they had; the teacher said she loved his enthusiasm. The teacher had straight auburn colored hair and wore clothes similar to the ones Lois Griffin wears on Family Guy. Hell, she even looked like her.

The meeting was going smoothly, answering that he knew how to write his name and was potty trained. The problem came when she went on to asking about the environment Ash lived in.

"So, where do you live? A house? Town house? Apartment? Abandoned building...?" The woman asked, looking up from her clipboard. She had her pen in hand and has been writing things down constantly.

"Uh...apartment." I answered somewhat confidently.

"How many bedrooms? And is he in his own bed that isn't a crib?"

"Two bedrooms. He sleeps in his own bed."

Scribble scribble scribble. Each time I heard that sound of the pen meeting the paper, I got more and more nervous. "How old are you again?"

"Twenty-five."

Another note. I sighed. "And is there a father figure in the picture?" She nodded towards my left hand. "I don't see a ring."

"Uh, the father is not normally in the picture."

"And what happened between you two?"

My eyes widened. "In all due respect Mrs..." I looked at her name tag that was on a lanyard around her neck, "Mrs. Griffin, but I don't feel comfortable sharing that information with you."

She looked at me skeptically and wrote something down.

"Excuse me," I interrupted her train of though, "May I ask what you keep writing down?"

"Oh, nothing." She nasally chuckled. I shifted awkwardly in my chair and waited for the next question.

But instead of more interrogation, she stood up and stated, "Okay, well, that about raps it up. All we need to do now is sign him up!" She exclaimed.

"So he's in?" I sat up in the small chair slightly.

She nodded her head and smiled, "He seems like a wonderful boy. I'm sure he'd make a great addition to our classroom this September."

"Thank you!" I walked around the round table and gave her a hug. I awkwardly stepped back and smiled. "This means so much to me." I glanced over at Ash. "I can't believe my little boy is going to school. He's growing up so fast."

She patted my shoulder, "They all do..."

I glanced over my shoulder at her and she giggled. I felt weird being around her...she was just so...weird. I picked Ash up from the toys he was playing with and went outside. He was kicking and screaming, but when I buckled him in his seat and closed the door, he calmed down.

As I drove home, Ash kept pointing out all of these things on our small trip. Don't get me wrong, it was totally adorable, but it was difficult to concentrate on the road because he'd always yell, "Mommy!" before pointing something out. So I was constantly looking back at him, and not the road.

We were walking through the lobby when Yolanda called me over. I grabbed Ash's hand and walked over to her desk. "Hey, what's up?" I asked.

She handed me a small stack of envelopes. I took them and began to flip through them. "Here's your mail." She said. "Most of it's bills and shit, but there's something in there I think you should see." She winked at me and the phone rang. She rolled her eyes and picked it up. "Hello? Sacramento Apartment Complex, how can I help you?"