[Chapter 13] All Alone

-Genny's POV-

That night, I had a dream. Not a dream. But a nightmare. Because I woke up at four in the morning in a cold sweat and breathing quickly. I dreamed that my Aunt Bailey became ill. I sat up in my bed, trying to calm down, and ten minutes later, my cell phone started going off.

I picked it up, "Hello?"

"Yes. Is this Miss Genevieve Foster?"

"Yes. Who is this?"

"This is the Sacramento Hospital. We're calling you on behalf of the admittance of your aunt, Bailey I believe her name is."

I grabbed my chest in shock. "What? When?"

"We need you to come her immediately, or as soon as possible."

I hung up the phone and grabbed my sweatshirt from my closet and bolted down the stairs. In the moonlight that shown through the big windows, I saw Anthony and Ash laying on the couch together. I thought it was the cutest thing ever...with their mouths both opened slightly and their chests slowly rising up and down.

I quickly left them a note on the counter and rushed out of the house. I hopped into my car and sped away into the darkness of the night. I didn't even bother to turn the radio on, I was hitting full speed and swerving the car side to side as I passed people on the street. It was pouring out and I could barely see ten feet in front of me. Lightning crashed and thunder boomed. And of course, soon enough, I heard the police coming for me. I pulled over to the side of the road and sighed.

I rolled down my window as the office walked up to my car. Little droplets of rain began to slash on my upper arm and the left side of my face. "Ma'am, you're going over the speed limit, you know that right?"

"Yes, sir." I replied, leaning my elbow on the car door.

"I'm going to have to give you a ticket. Would you like to give me your lame excuse?"

I rolled my eyes. "Just give me the damn ticket, I don't give a fuck right now."

He looked down at me, shining the flashlight in my eyes. "What seems to be putting you down, ma'am?"

"I'd rather not talk about it..." I said, putting my hand up, blocking the flashlight's glare in my eyes.

He wrote out the ticket and handed it to me. "Have a good night, ma'am."

I snatched the ticket from his hand and rolled my window up. I hit the gas and drove to the hospital. I paid the garage ticket and rushed into the hospital.

"Where's Bailey Thompson?" I asked the receptionist.

She looked up at me, "And who are you in relations to Miss Bailey Thompson?"

"I'm her niece, Genevieve Foster. Please let me see her." I begged.

She rolled her eyes. "Fifth floor, room 654."

I gasped, the fifth floor is where people who are in serious condition or close to dying go. I didn't even think about taking the elevator. I opened the door to the staircase and started running up the flight after flight of stairs. Finally reaching the fifth floor, I burst through the doors and began frantically looking around.

Laura, one of my coworkers walked up to me. "Hey, Genny. What's wrong?"

"My aunt. Where is she?" I asked Laura, shaking her.

"She's in room 654." She pointed to the right of me.

I turned around and burst into the room. There she was, Aunt Bailey, laying on the hospital bed with IVs in her arms and a breathing tube coming out of her mouth.

"Oh my..." I said, laying my soaked sweatshirt on the chair and walking over to my aunt. I grabbed her cold, lifeless hand in my warm ones. I began to tear up.

"You must be Genevieve Foster." I looked up and saw a young gentleman wearing a lab coat walk into the room. He was tall, had blonde hair, bright blue eyes, and wore a stethoscope around his neck. I stood up and shook his hand. "Hi, I'm Doctor Young." I smirked at the coincidence of his name.

"What happened? Do you know?" I inquired.

"Well, I can tell you what I do know. I know that she was brought by a few drunkards from a nearby casino. They claimed she passed out at one of the slot machines and was unresponsive. So they brought her here. From the tests that we've done, it seems that she suffered a very traumatic heart attack, and we're not sure that she'll make it much longer." I gasped, cupping my hand over my mouth and glancing over at my aunt's graying body.

"We're doing the best we can, Genevieve. Please understand that." He said, putting his hand on my shoulder as a caring gesture.

"Thank you." I uttered, looking at him out of the corner of my eye.

He walked out of the room as I walked over to the side of the hospital bed again, kneeling down and holding her hand. 

The next few hours were exhausting. I watched as her heart rate monitor gradually slowed, the heart rate loosing a beat per...let's say every half hour. The doctor's came in and out to change her saline bags as I sat, curled up in the chair, watching her. She wasn't getting any better, and I knew that.

Around one o'clock in the afternoon, that's when things got really bad. Her heart rate started going all over the place, doctors were constantly surrounding her bed, not letting me see what's happening. Then, at about two, I heard the heart monitor go flat line. All of the doctors turned around as they stared at me and I rose from my slouching position. I noticed that the blonde-haired doctor from before had exited the room.

The other doctors exited the room as I walked over to the bed and looked down at her corpse. I fell to my knees as tears began to stream down my cheeks. She was the only one left of my family...no parents, no grandparents, and now no Aunt Bailey. I was truly all alone.

I heard someone walk into the hospital room and stop in the doorway. I slowly turned around, my vision blurred because of the tears that filled my eyes to see a blurry image of a man. I wiped my eyes and saw that it was Anthony.

I slowly got up and walked towards him. I looked up as he looked down. I jumped forward and hugged him tightly, beginning to soak his shirt as I cried even harder than I had before.

He hugged me back too, resting his head on my shoulder. "Genny, I can't let you do this alone." He told me very seriously. "I don't care what you say about me and Kalel or how I'm only with you because of Ash. I care for you, and I don't think you want to be alone now."

He knew exactly how I felt, and I didn't understand why. But I stepped back, patting his wet shoulder with a slight smile. "Thanks." He smiled at me.

I crossed my arms. "Where's Ash?"

He crossed his arms over his chest, as if he didn't want to tell me.

"Where is Ash?" I asked more seriously.