[Chapter 32] The Arrangement

-Ms. Padilla's POV-

I was vacuuming the living room carpet when Anthony walked through the front door. He threw down his phone on the couch and walked up the stairs, not even saying hello to me. I turned off the vacuum and walked to the bottom the staircase.

"Anthony!" I called after him. "Anthony!"

"What?" He snapped back at me, turning on his heels to look down at me.

"What's upsetting you?"

"I don't want to talk about it." And he walked down the hall to his bedroom, only to come back to the top of the staircase to say, "Oh, and I'm going to be staying here a bit longer than expected, if that's okay."

"Always." I replied.

"Thanks, mom." And he went back to his bedroom. I sighed and went back to vacuuming.

-Anthony's POV-

I slammed the door behind me and sat down on my bed. I lay back and run my fingers through my hair. I can't believe what just happened between Genny and me. It had to be a nightmare, right? Right?

I pulled her ring out of my pocket and held it above my face, examining it. I sat up and walked over to the wall with my desk. I placed her ring on the top of the picture frame that hung on the wall and looked at the picture. It was of me, Kalel, Ian, and Genny, before I knew her.

God, did she look beautiful back then. Not that she doesn't now, she's more beautiful than ever. And I ruined it. This whole us not working out is all my fucking fault. She finally got past that stupid barrier and I just put it back up. I'm a fucking idiot...

I turned the ring she gave me on my finger for a while and slid it off, placing it beside hers. I turned around and flopped down on my bed, starting to cry.

"Hey, can you quiet down? I'm trying to watch a movie." Matthew asked me, barging into my bedroom.

"Get the hell out!" I shouted, not looking up.

"Gees, someone's PMSing..." He replied, shutting the door behind him.

-Ms. Padilla's POV-

It's been days since Anthony came back to stay for a while. He was eating breakfast at the table, looking sadder than ever, when the home phone rang. I picked it up, "Hello? Anthony's mom speaking."

"Hi, Anthony's mom. It's uh...Genny."

I put my hand over the speaker and looked over at Anthony. He didn't seem to hear her, though the phone volume was up all the way. I put the phone back up to my ear, "Uh, hello. What do you need? Anthony's not in the mood to talk right now."

"I know," She responded, "I needed to talk to you actually."

"Is that so?"

"Mom," Anthony murmured behind me. I turned around, holding my hand over the speaker again. "Who is it?"

"Just a friend of mine." I lied, walking out of the room. "What is it, honey?"

"I was wondering if you could watch Ash for me when I go to work." She told me. "You only have to watch him from nine to three."

"Nine A.M. to Three P.M.?"

"No, at night. Nine P.M. and three A.M." I rolled my eyes. "He's usually asleep by then so you don't have to care for him. I just...don't want to leave him alone while I'm gone." I was silent. "Please, Ms. Padilla. I...I really need your help."

I sighed, "I suppose it's doable. What time should I be expecting you?"

"Around 8:30-ish. I need to get to work by nine."

"Alright, sweetheart. But I'm only doing this because he's my grandson."

"Thank you so much." She remarked. "Uh, do you have any questions?"

"Actually, yes. I do. When are we starting this?"

She didn't respond for a little and then said. "I start work tomorrow. Six days a week, Monday through Saturday. And today's Sunday, so..."

I crossed my arms, "Alright. I'll be here."

"Thank you again."

"No problem. Goodbye!" And I ended the call.

"What did your friend want?" Anthony inquired, looking up at me.

"Nothing." I told him, pushing aside his hair and kissing his forehead. "You don't need to worry about it."

"Are you dating again?"

I laughed, "No no." I patted him on the shoulder. "My time for that is long gone." And I walked into the front room with my cup of coffee.