+ [Chapter 3] Run In with Kalel

-Genny’s POV-

After a long night at the hospital, I picked up Ash and was on my way home at three in the morning. I was on the highway to get to my loft when my phone started to go off in my purse. I hesitated to answer it at first, but the ringing just continued and continued. I finally looked over at it and began to dig through it, keeping watch of the road every few seconds. I found my phone and pinned it between my ear and shoulder as I continued to drive, "Hello?" I greeted.

"Hey…Genny. I…I need...you to... pick me up," Tiffany's familiar drunken voice sounded through the speaker.

I rolled my eyes and sighed, "Where are you?"

"I'm...I'm at a...a party."

"Where is the party?" I then went on to question. This happened on a daily occurrence, which was kind of really bad that I was used to this.

"Hey, where are we, babe?" She inquired. I assumed it was to some person at the party she hooked up with.

"Uh...I think…467 North Street," A muffled and unidentified man's voice answered her.

"467 North Street," Tiffany reiterated, followed by a giggle.

"Alright, Tiff. I'll be there in a sec," I hung up my phone and turned on the next exit, which conveniently was where Tiffany was. We approached a red stop light. I glanced back at Ash in the rearview mirror and saw that he was sound asleep. I couldn’t help but see the resemblance he had with his dad. He looked exactly like Anthony the morning I woke up and escaped out of his and Ian’s house – with his mouth slightly opened and his dark eyelashes intertwined with each other. I smiled and returned my attention to the road. The light turned green and I sped forward.

I found the place given to me and saw Tiffany sitting outside on this random guy's porch with her legs wide opened and a bottle of beer in her hand. Her head hung low and her blonde locks touched the cement. I beeped the horn and she jumped. Once she saw me, she yelled to someone in the house, kissed some guy who stood in the shadows of the opened door, and scurried to my car.

"Thanks, Genny. You're…a really good…friend," She remarked as she patted my hair. I nodded my head and grasped her hand, placing it in her lap. I dropped her off at her place and took the five-minute drive to mine.

I brought Ash in and took him up to my bedroom, where his crib was since there was only one bedroom in the loft. I laid him down gently and kissed his forehead. I changed into my pajamas and washed up. I walked over to my bed and flopped down onto it, falling asleep almost immediately.

*****

I woke up to Ash's crying. I sat up slowly and was stunned by how bright it already was. I rubbed my eyes before looking over at my clock and rolled my eyes. Five thirty in the morning. I dropped my legs over the side of the bed and the roughness of the carpet sent a shock through my body. I picked myself up and dragged myself over to Ash's crib, resting my arms on the side and looking down at his red and wet face.

"What do you want, Ash?" I questioned softly, wiping the tears off of his cheeks with my thumb.

He looked up at me and almost instantaneously calmed down. After a minute or so, he smiled, and so did I.

I picked him up and brought him downstairs. I sat him in his high chair and made my way into the kitchen. I opened the cabinets to find nothing but a close-to-empty box of Cheerios, an unopened box of pasta, a can of baby formula, and various k-cups scattered over the three bare shelves. “Oh god…” I murmured as I made a mental note that I needed to go grocery shopping today.

I grabbed the box of Cheerios and pulled a bowl out of the dishwasher, which I hope was cleaned. I poured the Cheerios into the bowl and it barely covered the bottom. I rolled my eyes and threw the box into the garbage can that was sitting next to the stainless steel fridge.