+ [Chapter 7] Play House

-Genny’s POV-

I walked into my house, followed by Anthony, and turned towards him, “Mind if I put Ash to bed?” I asked in a whisper, as to not wake Ash.

“Sure thing,” He retorted, slipping his hands in his pockets as he looked around my apartment. I brought Ash up to the bedroom, changed him into his pajamas, and set him down gently in the crib. I spun around and walked over to the other side of the room, opening my drawers and pulling out my baby blue scrubs for my late-night job. I slipped into them and grabbed a hair tie, as well as a set of bed sheets that I recently cleaned.

“Alright, well, you can sleep on the couch." I told Anthony as I made my way down the stairs and put my hair into a ponytail. I walked over to the couch and set down the bed sheets, “Here, these are for you.”

"Cool," He replied, walking over to me. He looked at me for a little before saying, “So, this is where you live?” He scratched behind his head.

“Yes,” I answered, walking past him and towards the doors. "And that is why I need to go work at eleven at night.”

“Where do you work?” He questioned.

“The hospital, I should be back around three.”

I opened the door and stepped over the threshold when I heard him call out to me, "Don't you want to talk?" I glanced over my shoulder at him, "I mean, we have some things to discuss."

"I would if I could, but I can’t. I have a child to take care of, Anthony, and I'm barely making enough money as it is to suffice. So I can’t be late. I'm sorry."

"Oh…okay,” He remarked, hanging his head. I sighed and turned around, closing the apartment door behind me and making my way out of the building.

As I walked through the lobby, the receptionist called me over. She and I were pretty good friends. Her name was Yolanda. She was African American and slightly overweight. She had long, curly, black hair and was really nice to me. In fact, she even helped me bring in all of my furniture from my old apartment.

"What do you want?" I whined, approaching the desk, “I’ve got to get to work…”

"Oh, I know. Just…one quick question: Is that guy going to be living here permanently? You know the one you brought in with you?"

I shook my head, "No, he’s just staying for a week. He's a friend."

“Ooh, a friend,” She teased.

“Not like that, Yolanda,” I replied, annoyed.

"Oh, well, you know if he stays with you permanently, your rent will have to go up.”

I sighed, "Yeah, I know."

"Alright, see you later, honey," She smirked and went back to watching re-runs of Desperate Housewives on her laptop. I was about to leave when I heard her shout, "Oh! Give me his number when you come back! Would you?"