[Chapter 31] Timeless

-Genny's POV-

I sat in front of the fireplace watching Ash play with the toy car Anthony gave Ash. He was running circles and circles around the couch, doing raspberries as the motor sound.

From Ethan kissing me, I got a minor case of pneumonia, not bad enough to where I was bed-ridden though. I was constantly cold; so I wore some plaid pajama paints and a sweatshirt that I'd stolen from Anthony. It was a Smosh sweatshirt, though I didn't care so much for the logo, it was super comfortable. In addition to the chills, I was sore everywhere and didn't feel like I could do anything.

I pulled my hair back and sighed, leaning up against the brick wall.

Ash slowed down and wobbled over to me. "Mommy okay?" He asked in his cute little voice.

I pulled him in for a hug and held him tightly. "Mommy's okay." I reassured him, kissing his head.

"Where Daddy?" He inquired, looking up at me.

My eyes widened. He was too young to understand what's going on. "Uh...Daddy's not..."

And as if this were planned like a movie, Anthony burst through the front door.

"Daddy!" Ash exclaimed, throwing his arms in the air.

Anthony smiled, spotting us in front of the fireplace. "Hey, Buddy! What's up?" He asked, sitting beside me and rustling Ash's hair.

I glared at him, "What are you doing here?" I asked under my breath.

He looked at me and blushed. "I wanted to say I'm sorry, Genny."

I rolled my eyes, stood up with Ash, and walked away from him and up the stairs. He just followed me and continued to explain, "Look, I overreacted. I should've listened to your side of the story. I'm really sorry, Genny!"

I put Ash in his crib and turned around, "I'm not taking you back, if that's what you want."

He walked right up to me, so that our toes were touching and we could feel each other's breaths. "Please hear me out, Genny." I crossed my arms and sighed. "Our love is...timeless. It's never going to go away. No matter what happens. That's why we clicked."

"No, Anthony." I retorted. "We never clicked...our lives are completely different. They never should've collided." He tried to say something, but it was my turn to rant, "You had everything. Like you said, you had the girlfriend...the house...the life... And then there's me, who had no boyfriend, was barely living on the edge of an acceptable life, and was happy just to be a mom! So no, we never 'clicked'." I walked past him and back downstairs.

"What about the Fourth of July, huh?" He yelled at me, running down the stairs. "I wouldn't just go to bed with any girl."

"We were drunk!" I shouted. "We weren't thinking straight! Because if you were, you would never cheat on Kalel!" He just stared at me with a blank expression written over his face. "You love her Anthony. Hers and your love is timeless, not our love. Our love is non-existent!"

He shook his head. "That's not true."

I walked into the kitchen and started cleaning dishes. "Just tell me, do you still have feelings, any kind of romantic feelings for Kalel?" I looked up at him.

Anthony sighed and sat down on a bar stool. "To be honest, no...not really."

"So you do..."

"No." He ran his fingers through his hair. "Look, I've said this so many times before I'm starting to not believe it myself, but I'm over her, Genny! You're the love of my life. And I can't stand not being with you...not for weeks, for days, or even minutes."

I started putting the clean dishes away, ignoring him.

"Genny, please. Please forgive me."

"No!" I remarked, spinning around. "We had our fun, playing mom and dad, but face it, Anthony. We live two completely different lives. And, if you really love someone, you got to let them go, right? So, let's say, I'm letting you go." I leaned on the countertop, hiding my hands within the sleeves.

He looked at me, perplexed. "So, you do love me?" He asked.

I crossed my arms and gluped, "It's just...right now's not a good time for you and me to be together. Kalel needs you."

"No she doesn't, she can get any guy she wants!"

"But the guy she wants is fighting for another girl who wants him to make the next person happy."

His eyes opened wide, realizing I was talking about him. "But we have a kid together..."

"Yes, we do. So what we can do is have you visit him every day, or whatever works for you. He can go to your house, or you can come to mine. He's your son, and I want his father to be in his life, just...not in a relationship with me." My chest hurt after I finished that statement, I clutched it as I squeezed my eyes shut in pain.

"I don't want that, though." He said softly.

"But I..."

"No. You've got it all wrong!" He stood up and walked around the counter. "Kalel isn't the girl for me. You are. And I was an idiot when I yelled at you a few days ago."

I turned away from him, "Just go, Anthony. I can't do this."

"Why?"

"BECAUSE IT HURTS!" I shouted, my voice cracking at the end. I spun around so I was looking at him again. "I'm sick, and this is taking all of my fucking energy." I tried to manage through the pain surging through my body, "It's not that I want us to be apart! But we can't be together because of so many different factors."

"Like what?"

"Well, there's Kalel..."

"She doesn't need me." He argued. "She's fully capable of being on her own! And anyways...she cut my red leather jacket...no one touches my jacket!"

"And there's Ian and Smosh..."

"You don't get in the way of that. If anything, you make it better! Have you seen the comments on the Lunchtimes with you and Ash? People love you!"

"What about you though?" I compromised. "What do you want?"

"I want more than anything to be with you and be happy."

I rolled my eyes, "I was happy being alone. All I need is Ash, and I'm happy."

"He's my son too. I want to help raise him."

I laughed, "You're not getting it, Anthony!" I crossed my arms over my chest, "We just can't be together."

He placed his hands under my jaw and kissed me on the lips. I pushed him away. We just stared at each other, waiting for someone to do something.

Anthony cleared his throat taking my hands in his. "I don't want to keep sitting around, waiting for you to realize that you're ready, Genny."

"Then don't!" I shouted, clenching my fists by my thighs.

"Let me finish." Anthony said more calmly than he did at the hospital, "I thought you accepting my proposal meant that you were ready. And I understand that you're not, but I'm going to stay because I love you." He declared, "And I know you're dealing with..."

"Just go." I pleaded, pointing to the door.

He looked at me in regret, regret that he'd acted the way he did. He dragged himself to it, putting his hand on the knob. Anthony glanced back at me, whispering, "I'm really sorry, Genny."

I stared at me feet while I barely uttered, "Just go, Anthony."

I refused to look up until I heard the door click shut. And when I did, I felt the feeling I've had all my life, but stronger and more intense than ever before.