What if (Minho)

(Minho p.o.v.)

There she was. Standing at the entrance of the Maze, waiting for him to get back like she had always done since she arrived. She cared so deeply about the Runners and it made Minhos heart do odd things.

Except, it wasn't him she was waiting for. No, it was Newt. Primarily, anyways.

Newt and Minho jog through the entrance and Newts lips are immediately attacked by hers. Minho had to look away; it was the only way he wouldn't stare. After Y/N was done greeting Newt, she walked up to Minho and hugged him tightly, releasing after a minute.

"How was your day in the Maze?" She asked and walked with him and a newt towards the Runners hut.

Minho bit his lip and looked sideways at her. He forced a smile and lifted his head. Fake confidence, right?

"Good. This shank nearly killed us both with his loud yappin'," he grinned and pointed to Newt, his best friend. "Grievers would've found us if we stayed in there any longer."

"Oh please, let's not be dramatic, yeah?" Newt grinned at him and wound his fingers to fit with Y/N's.

Soon enough, it was time for dinner. Minho had told Newt he'd finish mapping for the day and then he'd be back to eat. Newt agreed and left the hut to go find Y/N, as was usual. They did everything together. Ate together, talked together, laughed together...everything Minho wanted.

He's had feelings for Y/N for a while now, probably before Newt had. But he just couldn't ring himself to admit it to her before, and he sure wasn't going to do it now, not with her in a relationship with his best friend.

Minho finally finished recording what he'd ran of the Maze that day and made his way over to Frypans kitchen where the rest of the Gladers were conversing.

Minho stopped at the edges of the Deadheads and leaned against a tree, watching them. Newt was laughing and holding a fork with a strawberry on the end for Y/N to eat. She was laughing to hard to put the fruit in her mouth though, which made them both laugh even more.

Suddenly Y/N spotted Minho and her eyes widened. She motioned for her best friend to come to the take and eat with them. Minho nodded and smiled slightly, even though it didn't quite reach his eyes. He pushed off the tree and went to sit by Y/N and Newt.

They had a bowl of strawberries in front of them and Minho popped one in his mouth. Y/N took some blueberries and held them in her hands.

"Minho! Heads up!"

His eyes went wide and he quickly swallowed the rest of the strawberry, making room for blueberries that Y/N was now trying to throw into his mouth. She threw one delicately and it hit his nose, only to roll of and fall on the ground.

After several attempts, she finally got one in and threw her hands up. "Oh! Did you see that? Bring it on!"

The rest of the blueberries only pelted Minho in the face and left small purple spots.

"You," he pointed to Y/N. "Are a terrible shot."

"Hey!" She laughed. "I did get one in though."

"She's got a point," Newt agreed with a big smile. Y/N thanked him for being on her side and kissed his cheek swiftly which made Minho wince.

Minho had tried so many times before to send her signals that he liked her. He even tried to kiss her once when he was sure she had the same feelings, and before Newt was her boyfriend. But she got distracted by a passing butterfly and Minho had blushed until he was the shade of a tomato. He was just glad she hadn't seen that.

Minho snapped back to reality when his face was hit with another blueberry. "I wasn't ready!" He exclaimed and caught the falling blueberry, tossing it into his mouth.

Y/N wiggled her eyebrows. "I know."

She turned back to Newt and Minho watched her. Watched her laugh and enjoy her time with Newt. No matter how badly he wanted to be with her, she was with Newt and he made her happy. He'd respect that, and there was nothing more to it.

But he couldn't help think, "What if?"

What if he had confessed before Newt did? What if he'd been successful in kissing her that one day? What if e hadn't been such a procrastinating shank and just asked her out loud? Would he be with her now, and be in Newts position?

"Earth to Minho," Newt waved his hand in front of his face and he shook his head.

"You alright, friend?" Newt asked with genuine concern and Minho nodded.

"Yeah just tired. I think I'm actually going to head off to the Homestead now. See you two in the morning," Minho forced another half smile and strode over to his hammock.

He wasn't anywhere close to tired but he couldn't stand to be taunted by her deep eyes, full laugh, and loving personality.

He laid down in his hammock and stared at the ceiling, thinking. Finally, Minho decided something. He swore to himself that one day, if her and Newt ever broke up, he'd tell her everything.