Finally (Newt)

"The big bonfires tonight, Y/N," Newt announced and you spin around to face him. He'd just got done with his work in the Gardens and you hadn't heard him come up behind you. Your heart sped up and you instinctively smiled.

"Yeah, I'm excited! I'm always up to defeat you in a wrestle match," you respond and give a small smirk.

"Oh please, I can take you. You may be strong, love, but not that strong," he teases.

Your mouth hangs open. You push his shoulder lightly and shake your head. "Wow Newt, if I knew you picked up on Minhos sass I wouldn't have said anything," you throw back playfully.

"Now don't go comparing me to him," Newt laughs whole heartedly. "I am nothing like him!"

"Well I'd beg to differ, I mean, you've got the good looks down. And the hair." You wiggle your eyebrows at him and run a hand through his soft hair as you walk away. "See you at the bonfire, Newt!"

***

You had been involved in one of Minhos all too well known games. You weren't very interested and all your thoughts were stuck on Newt. You realized he was gone but you couldn't find him. So he'd have to find you.

And he did. Five minutes into a game you were vaguely interested in, a hand taps you on the shoulder. You turn to see a glass jar and Newt who was holding it out to you. You smile and accept the drink, standing and leaving the game to follow him.

"So how's your night been, love?" Newt asked, genuinely interested.

You smile down at your drink and sit at the trunk of a tree next to Newt. "It's been alright, but better now that you're here."

Newt raises his eyebrow. "Oh really?"

You nod and take a sip of the drink, passing it to Newt afterwords. He takes a swallow of it and holds it in his hands. You rest your head on his shoulder and stare at the giant fire in front of you, feeling the heat that reflected on your face. It felt really nice in contrast to the cold air around you.

"So what you were saying earlier..." Newt begins. A grin spreads across your face and you lift your head to see him.

"About your good looks?" You let out a small laugh. "Helping your ego am I?"

He shakes his head quickly and stutters. "N-no I just...hah, I was just wondering if you were being serious."

You nod. "I was telling the truth, just, not all of it."

Newt furrows his eyebrows and casts a glance at you. "What do you mean?"

You take the jar from him and take another swallow of the disgusting liquid. "You're much better looking than Minho," you say when you're done with the drink.

Newts eyebrows shot up. This was a surprise to him.

You yawn and stretch your arms a little, your eyes dropping with tiredness. You rest your head on Newts shoulder again, feeling the effects of the drink.

"Tired, love?" He rests a hand on the back of your head.

"Mmhmm," you mumble, sleep nearly taking you.

A few moments pass and Newt knows you've fallen asleep when your grip on the blue jar loosens. He takes it from your loose grip and puts it to the side of him so it wouldn't spill. He kisses the top of your head gently and smiles softly.

When you wake up, you know you couldn't have been asleep for long. Maybe a half hour? You furrow your eyebrows sleepily and look up to Newt who was staring ahead into the fire. When he realizes you're awake, he snaps out of his thoughts and looks down to you.

"Hey, finally awake are we? I've been sitting here for ages." Newt chuckles and you roll your eyes.

"Whatever! It wasn't that long, see? Minhos stupid game is still going." You both look over to him where he was daring the new Greenie to chug an entire jar of Gallys recipe drink. Poor guy.

You stand then, and Newt becomes confused.

"Where are you going, love?" You take his hand and help him up too.

"I think I'm gonna to go to bed. I've just been kinda tired."

Newts face falls and you feel bad for leaving him. He nods and drops the hand you'd helped him up with. "Well have a good sleep, then."

You both smile one more time and then you're walking to your room in the Homestead. Once you make it up there, you lay down on your bed and sigh. It was going to be a long night. There was no way you were going to be able to sleep, having just been in Newts arms. Your skin tried to imprint his touch so you'd always be able to feel it, but soon enough it faded.

You'd had to have been laying in your dark room for about fifteen minutes when there's a soft knock. You tell them to come in, assuming it was Chuck, who did this on a regular basis.

It was Newt. You sat up immediately and brushed your probably now-messy hair back into place. "H-Hey, Newt."

He bit his lip and nodded. "I didn't wake you did I?" He asks looking a little guilty yet unrepentant.

"No, I couldn't sleep."

"Good," he sighs. He holds out his hand to you which you take without hesitation. "They're dancing down there and I needed a partner. There's no bloody way I'm dancing with Tommy again."

You laugh and nod. You could relate.

Once you're back by the bonfire, you hear the slow music and smile excitedly. A slow dance?

Newt placed his hands around your waist and you looped yours around the back of his neck. The rest of the Gladers shot you jealous glares. They refused to dance to slow dance ones unless it was with you. All the boys stayed five feet away from one another as if they had the plague.

You and Newt swayed back and forth slowly and looked into his eyes.

"You know, love, you're buggin' beautiful." Newt searched all over your face, taking in your seemingly perfect features.

Your heart stops, restarts, and stops all over again. "I am?"

He nodded and you stopped dancing, getting lost in his eyes. He leaned closer to you, your lips nearly touching. Finally, he closed the gap between you and pushed his lips to yours. They were gentle and soft on yours, and you felt like you could melt in them.

You only broke the kiss when the Gladers started whooping and cheering, some groaning and making beaching sounds. You shook your head and laughed, just pressing your lips to his again.